Update: Statement from the family of Thomas Meixner

Nathanial Stenchever

In front of the John W. Harshbarger building on the University of Arizona campus, students, faculty and staff have set up a memorial for Thomas Meixner. The professor died yesterday, Oct. 5.

Following the passing of Thomas Meixner, his family sent the Daily Wildcat an official statement.

Meixner, who was a University of Arizona professor and head of the Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences Department, was shot and killed on campus in the John W. Harshbarger building around 2 p.m. Oct. 5.

“Thomas Meixner was an incredible son, brother, husband, father, uncle, colleague and friend,” the statement said. “He loved his family, friends, coworkers, the University of Arizona and the greater Tucson community. He always focused on helping others in all he did. The loss of Tom has left a giant emptiness in our hearts.”

The statement is pictured below:

The Meixner family released the following statement to the Daily Wildcat regarding the death of Thomas Meixner, who was shot and killed in the John W. Harshbarger building on Oct. 5.

The main suspect, Murad Dervish, is an ex-graduate student from the same department and was taken into custody by police.

Meixner began teaching at the UA in 2005. His research and teaching focused on watershed hydrology and water quality, atmospheric chemistry, the impact of climate change on water resources and more.

“He was passionate about Hydrology, and one of the last acts he performed on this earth was to teach a class,” the statement said.

Members of the community have placed flowers, candles and notes outside of the Harshbarger building in memory of Meixner.

The UA provost also invited faculty and staff via email to a gathering at the Student Union Memorial Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today to reflect on the loss of Meixner.

Meixner is survived by his wife and two sons.

Mental health resources available:

If you have been impacted by this situation and are seeking help, you can contact UA Campus Health by calling 520-621-9202 or find out how to set up an appointment on their website at health.arizona.edu.

Additionally, UA Counseling & Psychological Services has a variety of different resources intended to help students, including a “Mental Health & Wellness Tools” webpage. CAPS also typically has drop-in hours over Zoom Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. You can find this and more at caps.arizona.edu or contact CAPS directly through its 24/7 number 520-621-3334.

Follow JT Thorpe on Twitter