Greek Week creates chapter solidarity

The UA kicked off Greek Week on Monday with a visit from the Dating Doctor.

David Coleman, the Dating Doctor, gave a presentation on relationships and dating at Centennial Hall.

“”So far, David Coleman’s presentation was my favorite event,”” said David Seroy, a sophomore Phi Gamma Delta brother.

The purpose of Greek Week is to celebrate the UA’s Greek community.

Michael Colletti, a Sigma Chi fraternity member and Interfraternity Council public relations officer, said, “”We want to unite the community of Greeks and create a sense of community while at the same time giving back and doing some charitable work.””

Greek Week has been an annual event on the UA campus for the past decade.

“”We’ve been trying to bring it back to the UA to create a more community vibe,”” Colletti said.

David Machado, a senior Lambda Theta Phi brother, said, “”Last year’s Greek Week wasn’t this big. This year we’re bringing Greek unity back to the campus.””

Up ‘til Dawn was the first event of the week. Fraternities and sororities wrote letters to cancer patients at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Other Greek Week events include a dunk tank on the UA Mall, a block party and barbecue contest on Greek Row and percentage nights at various restaurants on campus.

Each fraternity and sorority receives points based on how many people from their chapter are in attendance and how well they perform at each event.

Fraternities and sororities are divided into groups called chapter connection circles. Chapter connection circles encourage different Greek organizations to work together.

“”Chapter connection circles unite Greeks beyond their chapters,”” Seroy said.

Greek Week’s festivities will end with a Greek Awards Ceremony on Sunday at the Gallagher Theater.

Greek Week is sponsored by ASUA and the Interfraternity Council. All events were paid for by the Interfraternity Council budget and chapter dues.

“”We want Greek Week profits to be donated towards various community services,”” Colletti said.

The Interfraternity Council plans to donate all of Greek Week’s profits to the Arizona Refugee Connection.