Preview: Arizona women’s soccer plays first set of home games against Oklahoma and UC Irvine this weekend

Lexi Horsey

Arizona’s junior defender Morgan Mcgarry passes the ball up towards the forwards during the game against Berkeley on Saturday, Oct 13 at Mulcahy Stadium. The final score was a 3-3 tie. 

Arizona soccer could not have hoped for a better start to its season.

After going to Tempe and coming away with a pair of wins last weekend against Weber State and Tennessee Tech. Now begins the real test for Arizona as it enters the bulk of its non-conference schedule, beginning with Oklahoma Sooners on Friday at 7 p.m. at home.

The Sooners went 7-10-2 last season but are a much different team now coming into 2019. Oklahoma received 28 votes this past week in the AP coaches poll and are 3-0-1 so far, including a quality road win against Arkansas. It is their first time going undefeated in their first four games since 2009.

Arizona will then square off against UC Irvine at 1 p.m. on Sunday. The Anteaters don’t pose much of a threat, as they’ve given up nine goals in the four games entering Sunday’s contest. Those stats to go along with their 1-3 record in 2019 could be taken lightly; however, UCI has already had one of the toughest schedules in the country, having played No. 5-ranked Virginia on the road and No. 9-ranked Vanderbilt at home. UC Irvine’s other loss came from the Iowa State Cyclones, a team that lost fourteen games last season and are also 1-3 to start the year, making for a perfect opportunity for the ‘Cats to pick up a win at home.

What to watch for this weekend

Who will start in net for Arizona?

Redshirt freshman Kendyll Humphreys will most likely be the starter on Friday, but true freshman Hope Hisey could also see some time in the net this weekend against UC Irvine on Sunday. Humphreys and Hisey have each started one match so far this season and both keepers put up a clean sheet in their 90 minutes of action. Both goalies have the resume and skill to start, so it will be interesting to see who wins the job going forward.

The young core of Brooke Wilson and Madison Goerlinger

Freshman midfielder Madison Goerlinger had no problem stepping up as the new starter for Arizona last weekend. She scored within the first two minutes of her collegiate career against Weber State with a header off a well-played set-piece and went on to crack the starting 11 again against Tennessee Tech, playing about 70 minutes in both matches. Sophomore Brooke Wilson was the other bright spot for the Wildcats last weekend with her two-goal performance off the bench against Weber State in just 38 minutes of play. She followed it up by scoring another goal against Tennessee Tech, making her the current team leader in goals so far with three.

Follow Jacob Mennuti on Twitter.