AZ-So women donate bras

Race For the Cure attendees make their way down Randolph Way Sunday morning. The bras lining portions of the five-kilometer golf course were donated by individuals and businesses from all across the valley during the past month in support of the Susan G. Komen Race For the Cure.

Girls in Arizona-Sonora hall are using their bras for a different kind of support.

Fatou Mbye, community director for Az-So, got the idea to collect bras in the dorm while listening to a country radio station. The bras were used to support the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

“”It’s a really easy way to show that you care,”” she said.

The bras were collected through Arizona Oncology centers throughout Tucson as well, and were displayed at the walk yesterday down Broadway Avenue.

“”(Breast Cancer) affects a lot of people in our community and it’s a big part of our population,”” said Mbye.

Mbye also thought this activity was a great way for the residents to volunteer.

“”Part of our learning outcomes is community service,”” she said. “”This generation, students tend to volunteer more and if we give them an opportunity to do so, they will because it doesn’t take time out of their day.””

Sarah Fisher, a participant in the walk, thinks this kind of support is needed.

“”It’s a good thing to support because you never know when you’re going to need the support,”” she said.

Mbye, who also participated in the walk, loved the bra idea.

“”I just think it’s a great visual,”” she said.