Stamp to honor slain journalist

Stamp to honor slain journalist

A Rubén Salazar stamp with be unveiled in a special event at Gallagher Theater in the Student Union Memorial Center at noon today.

Salazar was a journalist who was killed by a can of tear gas fired by Los Angeles sheriffs while he was reporting on the National Chicano Moratorium March, which protested the Latinos killed in the Vietnam War, according to reports.

“”This is an honor to have happen to his memory, to journalists and to Latino journalists,”” said Olga Briseño, director of Media, Democracy and Policy Institute, which led the UA-based movement to realize the stamp happen. “”We did it.””

Each year the Citizens’ Stamp Advisory Committee, part of the United States Postal Service, receives and reviews roughly 30,000 suggestions for people to be commemorated through a stamp. On average, only 20 to 30 are chosen.

The board, UA students, a wide range of Tucson professionals and national organizations proved that Salazar was worthy to be commemorated through a stamp, she said.

Students were very much involved by collecting signatures here at UA campus and various other campuses around the country and conducting research on the life of Salazar, she said.

“”It was a four-year process,”” Briseño said.

“”Stamps are an important way to remember American history,”” said Peter Hass of the USPS. “”Stamps paint a picture of America and honor people who have done great things in American history.””

“”Salazar is a legendary journalist,”” he said. “”Salazar is at the forefront of Hispanic journalists.””

Salazar is one of five journalists featured as “”great American journalists”” in the new 20 sheet issued this week.

U.S. Rep. Raul Grijalva and Salazar’s daughter are among those scheduled to speak at the event.

“”Too few Latinos have been recognized with a stamp,”” said Briseño, “”It’s a very important thing.””