Calendar

Tucson favorites Calexico and Mariachi Luz de Luna will play at the Bookmans Party in the Park 30th Anniversary Celebration at the DeMeester Outdoor Performance Center at Reid Park on Saturday.
    Tucson favorites Calexico and Mariachi Luz de Luna will play at the Bookmans Party in the Park ’30th Anniversary Celebration’ at the DeMeester Outdoor Performance Center at Reid Park on Saturday.

Today

Day of the Dead author tribute – What’s better than a live mariachi band playing in the Bookstore? Free food, of course, and this event will have both. There will also be a book signing for Professor Lanin Gyurko’s newest book, “”Lifting the Obsidian Mask: The Artistic Vision of Carlos Fuentes,”” and a Day of the Dead altar. 4:30-6 p.m. Free. UofA Bookstore

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists – This indie-punk rocker’s music is pretty cool, but listening to it brings back bad memories of dehydration and agonizing sunburns at Coachella. At least this one’s inside. 7:30 p.m. $12 in advance, $13 day of show. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St.

Tomorrow

Dia de Los Muertos Fiesta– Another opportunity for free food. If you bring a photograph, flower or memento to the Day of the Dead altar at the Tucson Museum of Art, you can participate in Mexican crafts and wondrous food eating. And I guess you can also “”celebrate the cycle of life and death.”” Is that what the holiday is all about? 5-7 p.m. Free. Tucson Museum of Art, 140 N. Main Ave.

12th Annual Tucson Firefighters Chili Cook-Off – This time, you have to pay. But it’s worth it, because hot firefighters from all over Pima County will be preparing their meat. It’s every frustrated and slightly imaginative single mom’s fantasy come true. 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Free. $1 for a cup of chili. El Presidio Park, 165 W. Alameda St.

Saturday

2007 Sarnoff Artist Materials Expo – This is an excuse to actually park in the Tucson Conventional Center garage and not get a ticket for it. Just say you’re going to this art supplies expo, with more than 30 manufacturers, workshops and demonstrations, and you’re free to wander around the ghost town of La Placita Village without paying. Hey, you might even be able to get a sandwich! 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tomorrow and Saturday. Free. Tucson Convention Center, North Exhibition Hall, 260 S. Church Ave.

Monster Truck Thunder Slam and Extreme Freestyle Spectacular – After you leave the art show, you can attend the widely acclaimed monster truck extravaganza. Foreign critics hailed the Battling Bigfoot a triumph in characterization and vehicular destruction. Likewise, Prowler, Predator, Twisted Dragon and Pounder were frontrunners at Cannes this year. 7:30 p.m. Tomorrow and Saturday. $17-$25. Tucson Convention Center, 260 S. Church Ave.

Polyphonic Spree – We’re all familiar with the dangers of cults after the Jonestown Massacre and that slightly erogenous “”Most Hated Family in America”” documentary, but here’s an example where a cult can be useful. If it wasn’t for the group’s bizarre, colorful robes and strange behavior, it’d probably be playing for a Kidz Bop CD instead of touring the world. 8 p.m. $21 advance, $25 day of show. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Bookmans Party in the Park “”30th Anniversary Celebration”” – I’m not sure how this thing is gonna work out. It’s nice to go to Bookmans to scope out the relatively attractive booksellers and register operators, but they won’t be at the concert because they’ll all be working. But at least it’s free – and the guys in Calexico are pretty hot, I guess. 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Free. DeMeester Outdoor Performance Center, Reid Park, 22nd Street and Country Club Road

Sunday

Ween – I was in love with this band ever since I heard that “”Spinal Meningitis”” song, in which a little kid/South Park monster cries, “”It really hurts Mommy. Am I gonna die?”” over synthesizers, bells and a Primus guitar riff. Plus, Ween was in “”It’s Pat.”” 9 p.m. $26 in advance, $28 day of show. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

All Souls Procession and Grand Finale – I briefly considered dressing up as a wheelchair zombie this year because I was tired of walking so far, but then I realized I was missing the point. The celebration is in the journey, not the destination. But the end is pretty cool, too, because there will be floats, altars, fire dancers, hipsters in intricate costumes and that big bowl with the faces that light on fire. Meet at 5:30 p.m.; procession begins at 6 p.m. Free. Starts at Epic Café, Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard. Grand Finale at the Franklin Street Docks, Franklin Street and Stone Avenue

Monday

PostSecret – If you think the selections in the book are creepy, you should check out PostSecret’s MySpace page, where all the rejects and cards that implicate illegal activity are posted. My God, it’s terrifying. I expect the local version at the Student Union Memorial Center’s Union Gallery to be somewhat similar, just because it’s Tucson. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day. Reception from 5-7 p.m. Free. Union Gallery

“”Hacking Democracy”” – This documentary is about the implications of inaccurate and insecure voting machines, because apparently there has been some controversy during the last few presidential elections. Have you heard the rumor that Al Gore could have won? Mind-blowing! 7-9 p.m. Free. UA Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering auditorium

Quai Branly Museum: a new building in Paris by Jean Nouvel – This lecture will be put on by the French president of a new museum along the Seine, close to the Eiffel Tower. She oversaw the building’s construction and will talk about its architecture and its collection. 6-7:30 p.m. Free. Modern Languages building auditorium, Room 350

Tuesday

Do Make Say Think – This band is cool, but the real show-stealer will be opener Apostle of Hustle, which boasts Andrew Whiteman from Broken Social Scene. He created the band after spending time with his godmother in Cuba; he then wanted an outlet for his fascination with Latin rhythms. 9:45 p.m. $8. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)

Wednesday

Native Eyes Film Showcase – This film festival is notable not just because it’s showcasing American Indian films, but because it’s actually at a movie theater other than the Loft. Hopefully, the uncomfortable seats and brain-dead Vietnam veterans won’t discourage you from seeing movies such as “”Memory in Bones,”” “”Mohawk Girls,”” “”Miss Navajo”” and more. Nov. 7-8. Free. Grand Cinemas: Crossroads 6, 4811 E. Grant Road

compiled by Andi Berlin