Female rapper draws from youth

Fresh-faced and vocal, Lanz draws inspiration in her raps from her tumultuous childhood. Catch the lyricist when she opens for Snoop Dogg on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Anselmo Valencia Ampitheatre.

Storming the rap scene is not easy to do, especially as a woman rapper. But up-and-coming artist Lanz is defying this idea and becoming rap’s newest contender.

Lanz, 18, stunned the hip-hop world in 2006 when she signed with Interscope Records. Now, being linked to a major record label, awaiting the release of her debut album and beginning a tour with Snoop Dogg, Lanz is leaving amateur status behind.

But the path to success did not come easy for Lanz. Instead, she had to fight for where she is at today.

The streets of New York were the setting for Lanz’s childhood, where she experienced a single-parent home afflicted with drugs and violence. With all of this chaos around her, Lanz grew up more quickly than most kids her age.

“”As a young kid, instead of having my mind guarded, it wasn’t really shielded at all,”” Lanz said. “”So, real life at an early age was a real thing for me.””

With not much to turn to, Lanz filled her voids with the rawness of hip-hop music. She said she found some direction in life by listening to the words of artists like Tupac Shakur, DMX and Eminem.

“”These artists were giving all of themselves to their music,”” Lanz said. “”I turned to these figures for guidance.””

By the time Lanz turned 14, she knew that she wanted to be part of the music scene. To get there she dropped out of school and found an internship at a studio, where she spent most of her time scrubbing toilets.

The far-from-glamorous position helped her make some connections in the rap world. She also took to the underground rap scene, as she began rapping and battling at different clubs.

The strong words Lanz spoke at the clubs dealt mostly with the chilling events of her childhood. Lanz committed herself to making this “”truth music,”” so much so that she had it tattooed on her wrist.

“”To me, truth music is the most honest and sure form of self-expression,”” Lanz said.

Being honest in her lyrics appeals to Lanz, who uses music as an outlet. “”My music has always been my escape,”” she said.

Lanz’s edgy and thought-provoking lyrics have caught the attention of many record labels, including Interscope.

Since signing with the label, Lanz has laid down tracks with big names such as Three 6 Mafia and Focus on her upcoming album Young $ Restless, which will be released Feb. 12.

“”I want to stir up the industry with this album and provide a voice for young females out there,”” Lanz said.

With her career moving fast, Lanz said she is just trying to stay in the moment.

“”Every day I wake up and try to soak it all up and appreciate it,”” she said.

Lanz opens for Snoop Dogg at Anselmo Valencia Amphitheatre, 5655 W. Valencia Road, on Saturday. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., with tickets ranging from $30-85.