Police Beat: Feb. 21

Five-finger discount failure

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested for shoplifting from the UofA Bookstore on Wednesday at 1:51 p.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was dispatched to the bookstore and made contact with the bookstore staff.

A Loss Prevention employee had detained the man suspected of shoplifting in a conference room on the second floor of the bookstore.

The officer met with the man and asked what happened.

The man admitted that he had entered the bookstore with the intention of shoplifting around 1:30 p.m. in order to obtain money to eat.

The man grabbed some sandals, a cycling uniform, a red suitcase and some pens, placed the items into the suitcase, and left the store.

The man said that bookstore personnel escorted him back into the store immediately after he left.

The officer then searched the red suitcase the man had in his possession and found all of the aforementioned items.

The officer performed a records check on the man and found that the man had two warrants for his arrest through the Tucson Police Department.

The man had previously been found shoplifting multiple times at the UA and around Tucson.

The man also had an exclusionary order by the UA from his previous offenses.

The officer explained the exclusionary order to the man, who agreed not to return to the UA.

The officer arrested the man for shoplifting and booked him into Pima County Jail.

The bookstore personnel valued all of the stolen items at $290.08.

Dude, where’s your car?

A non-UA affiliated man from Oregon had his friend’s car impounded after driving on a suspended license on Wednesday.

A UAPD officer noticed a car fail to stop at the intersection of Fourth Street and Highland Avenue at 12:12 a.m.

The officer pulled the car over and the driver of the car identified himself with an Oregon driver’s license.

The officer performed a records check on the driver and found that the driver’s license was listed as suspended for failure to comply.

The officer confirmed the information with the Beaverton Police Department and arrested the man at 12:26 a.m. for driving on a suspended license.

The officer had to impound the vehicle for a mandatory 30-day period.

The tow paperwork was given to the owner of the vehicle, who was seated in the passenger seat of the car.

The officer took inventory of the vehicle before it was towed and impounded.

Drunk student found passed out in union bathroom

A female UA student was found severely intoxicated in a Student Union Memorial Center bathroom on Feb. 10 at 10:25 p.m.

A UAPD officer was dispatched to the union regarding a report from a UA employee about woman unconscious in the bathroom near the U-Mart.

The door was locked and the UA employee could not get to the student.

The UAPD officer was able to get into the bathroom and found the student in one of the stalls.

The officer was unable to get under or over the stall so the officer forced open the door.

The student was passed out on the toilet and remained unresponsive during the officer’s many attempts to wake her up.

The officer confirmed that the student was breathing and called for medical assistance from the Tucson Fire Department.

TFD arrived and revived the student with smelling salts.

The student showed symptoms of extreme intoxication including watery eyes and slow, slurred speech.

The student was able to identify herself and said that she lived at the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall.

The student mumbled that she had taken eight shots of alcohol at a date dash.

The student was transported to the University Medical Center.

The officer followed up with the student’s parents after finding out that the student did not live in Arizona-Sonora.

The officer learned that the student lived in Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall, where he found the student the next morning.

The officer cited her for a minor in possession and also advised the student that drinking as much as she had the night before was dangerous.

Laptop disappears from library

A male UA student’s MacBook was stolen from the Main Library after taking a cigarette break between 11:10 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. on Feb. 9.

A UAPD officer responded at 11:39 p.m. to the library and made contact with the student.

The student said that he was studying with two other friends on the third floor of the library.

The group left their laptops on the study table before going outside to smoke.

The group asked another student at the table next to them to keep an eye on their things as they left.

The group returned from the smoke break, and the student’s MacBook was gone.

The student reported a suspicious man wearing a sweat suit wandering around the area but no one saw who took the laptop.

The officer told the student to change access information to saved accounts on the Internet.

The student’s parents faxed the officer a receipt for the computer but the receipt was illegible.

The suspicious man was not found and there are no additional suspects at this time.