Police Beat: March 10, 2015

“Not our eggs”

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a food court disturbance in the Student Union Memorial Center on Feb. 25 at 12:22 p.m.

An officer said about four or five student-aged people were holding signs with “Don’t eat eggs” on them. A woman was standing on top of a trash/recycle bin yelling, “Not our bodies, not our eggs. Leave them alone.” One officer thought the group was yelling at the Chick-fil-A restaurant.

The restaurant dining facilities manager told the group to stop, or they will be asked to leave. The group ignored the request until they saw the officer. They quickly left. The officers started walking to the food court when they spotted the group along the south exterior of the Second Street Parking Garage. One officer approached and talked to them at the SUMC traffic circle.

A woman who appeared to be the group leader asked, “Why are you talking to us?” The officer explained that there was a disturbance in the food court, but she claimed to know nothing about it. The officer asked her for an ID, and she said that she was not presenting her ID unless she was under arrest. They were asked to leave the campus, and they left the area.

Kids in the back

A non-UA-affiliated woman was pulled over by UAPD for not having her kids restrained in car seats while driving on Campbell Avenue and Broadway Boulevard on Feb. 25 at 10:58 a.m.

A UAPD officer saw a 2001 gray Saturn station wagon driving with several young children under 5 years of age. Two were in the very rear of the station wagon. According to the driver, the two who were not restrained in the back were 4 and 8 years old.

The officer smelled marijuana coming from inside the car. In total, there were three adults and four children. Each individual was asked to exit the vehicle and was spoken to one-on-one. They denied having marijuana on them. The officer searched the Saturn and found a small bag with pipes, rolling papers and a green plastic container with small, individual baggies of marijuana.

One of the men said the marijuana was his. He was read his Miranda rights. He said the marijuana was brought to him by his friend the day before. They decided to smoke it one last time, since his friend was going to prison for being caught with 100 pounds of marijuana by Border Patrol.

The man was arrested and released for possession of marijuana. The vehicle was impounded for 30 days, and the driver was cited for not having a license. The kids were released back to their parents.