New ASUA Senators talk positions and platforms

Anna Woolridge, pre-business freshman

“I ran for senate because I got really interested in ASUA through freshman class council and I just really love that senators can make a direct impact on the student body.”

• Continue work for the “I Will” campaign
  • Work with Students for Sustainability to implement campus-wide composting
  • Make sure every incoming freshman knows they have the opportunity to have a peer mentor

• Emily Hastings, political science sophomore

“I ran for senate because I’ve been involved in ASUA for a while—I really support the senate reform.”

• Fill the college-specific senate seats next year by reaching out to colleges and give students fair representation
  • Expand UA Listens to increase awareness about what ASUA does and to let students know they’re listening to student concerns

• Allie Patberg, junior studying family studies and human development

“I ran for senate because I’m the current president of the Panhellenic Council—which is the governing body for 15 of the women’s sororities on campus—working as an advocate for all of those women, and because of that, I decided I would be a really great representative and advocate for the other 40,000 students on campus.”

• Improve lighting on campus and improve overall campus safety
  • Continue work on the “I Will” campaign
  • Expand gender equality programs across campus
  • Serve as an advocate for the greek life community and make a more meaningful partnership between ASUA and the rest of campus

• Olivia Johnson, pre-nursing freshman

“I ran for senate after shadowing a a senator named Hailey Schwartz through the cubbie shadowing program. I really like the idea that in senate I can work with a lot of the clubs and on the rules and bi-laws of the school and that you’re the voice of the students and that with your platforms you can see the changes you want to make in the school.”

• Pursue restructures to the elections code to make it easier to run and get involved in ASUA for pre-majors who are not yet accepted into colleges
  • Provide opportunities for diverse groups through community outreach and increase funding to Project FOCUS

• Stefan Schmietenknop, pre-business freshman

“I ran for senate because I wanted to get more involved in the University of Arizona and make a difference.”

• Bridge the “senate gap” to ensure important platforms are passed down to new senate classes
  • Work with the “I Will” campaign
  • Install new crosswalks for pedestrian safety

• Peter Marozzi, engineering freshman

“I am currently in the Freshman Class Council and I just thought for next year I really want to be involved, and senate seemed like the right way to both give back to the school and at the same time learn more about the ASUA and its programs.”

• Ease the election process by changing the elections code to match the newly reformed senate. For pre-majors who aren’t involved or accepted to a college, Marozzi said it’s hard to gather the amount of signatures needed if running for a college-specific senate seat.

• Allison Childress, political science junior

• Promote inclusion and diversity within ASUA and the general student body, and improve the lack of representation for marginalized students
  • Empower and grow student clubs and organizations that may struggle with funding or lack a secure space to gather
  • Make ASUA accessible to all students

• Danielle Ledezma, political science junior

“I wanted to run for senate because i really wanted to push myself and to make more of an impact, because i’m in blue chip and National collegiate leadership conference, so i’ve gained a lot of leadership experience that I feel I can really use to be a great senator.”

• Improve unity and peaceful discussion
  • Increase campus sustainability standards and practices
  • Expand mental awareness week to a month

• Runoff election candidates:

Matt Rein, political science freshman

“I ran for senate to get more involved within ASUA, because I think ASUA is an awesome organization and Ii think Ii can make a real difference here on campus with my platforms.”

• Improve affordability and fight for affordable tuition
  • Work to decrease food costs and food insecurity on campus

• Nohe Garcia, senior studying engineering management and mathematics

“I just felt like I could help out the student body, I have a couple platforms that I thought the student body could really benefit from and I want to be someone to help make those a reality.”

• Improve the UA Alert system to notify students quicker and more efficiently
  • Improve Safe Ride by acquiring golf carts to transport students across campus
  • Improve academic assistance programs on campus

• Atiana Waters and Trent Waller could not be reached at the time of press.

Follow Chastity Laskey on Twitter.