New off-campus student housing prepares for first residents

Briana Sanchez
Briana Sanchez/ Arizona Summer Wildcat Chemical Engineering freshman, Juju Alawadhi, Vice president of marketing for corprate, Blair Hebert, Property manajor, Johanna Adolfs, and leasing expert Brendan Byrne sit down to discuss possible leasing options at The Cadance’s temporary leasing office on 4th ave. on Sunday July 28.

The finishing touches are being put on three new off-campus student housing complexes as they prepare to open in time for the fall semester.

The Cadence, located on Congress Street and Fourth Avenue, will allow residents to move in on Aug. 21, and has already rented out over three-fourths of the complex.

The Cadence will host a small welcome party during move-in day, as well as a bigger event at the Rialto Theatre for its new residents that night, according to Kelsey Finney, leasing expert for The Cadence.

The Retreat, located on Park Avenue near 22nd Street, will open for move-in on Aug. 1, though its rooms have been fully rented out since January 2013, according to Emily Glenn, leasing ambassador at The Retreat.

Also opening this fall is Level, a 14-story building just west of main campus on Speedway Boulevard and Park Avenue.

While prices per bed start at $600 and can go up to more than $1000 at some of these complexes, the new off-campus student housing developments have been promoting luxury living and modern amenities such as tanning beds, rooftop pools and fitness centers. The new complexes also have study rooms for their students.

“We’re definitely a very modern urban apartment,” Finney said. “We’re brand new so [students can look forward to] making their space completely their own with, you know, a newer, young kind of vibe.”

Although the UA encourages students to live on campus their first year, Residence Life also has an off-campus unit where staff members help students with housing issues such as finding a place to live that fits their needs or understanding different types of leases before they sign a contract.

“Residence Life is a full service to our students,” said Dana Robbins-Murray, assistant director of marketing for Residence Life. “So that once they live on campus their freshman year if they’re looking to live off-campus then we have the off-campus housing unit that provides a lot of different free services to the students.”

With so many new developments underway, some older off-campus student housing have been seeing the affects of the new competition.

Candice Dunford, property manager for North Pointe Apartments located on east Wetmore Road, said the complex is seeing a lower rate of students renting this year, despite its prices starting at less than $400. As a result, they’ve had to invest in their property to keep up with new competition, she said.

In the last year North Pointe has invested in new fitness equipment and remodeled its pool area and student lounge. This year it will be investing in new carpet for the rooms and hardwood floor in the common areas.

“In Tucson we’ve not had … as many new beds come into the market you know, this is the first year that we’ve had to experience this,” Dunford said. “So it’s definitely affected us and makes us have to fight a little bit harder to get our fair share.”