UA alum to talk water issues

Turki Faisal Al Rasheed, a UA alumnus, will visit the UA campus today to deliver a talk on “The Role of Agriculture and Water and How it will Enhance Security and the Promotion of Economic Growth.”

Al Rasheed graduated in 1981 from the UA agricultural engineering program, and is now the chairman and founder of Golden Grass Inc., a leading agricultural firm in Saudi Arabia. Al Rasheed’s involvement with Golden Grass Inc. has given him hands-on experience with the issues of agriculture and water, and how they affect security and promote economic growth.

Shane Burgess, dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, said he encourages UA students to attend and gain an understanding of agriculture’s global nature. Students should also be aware that agriculture doesn’t only deal with the actual growth of food, Burgess said, but also with food safety, processing, bioenergy and solar energy. Despite the poor economy, agriculture remains a productive business that continues to earn a lot of export revenue, according to Burgess.

Al Rasheed will also address the political issues surrounding water. Water is a precious commodity in many parts of the world, Burgess said, and agriculture uses about three-fourths of the water supply. Being in Tucson, UA students understand the value of water, and can gain an understanding of how it functions globally.