Arizona men’s golf team cleans up latest Daily Wildcat weekly awards

Courtesy Mike Christy

March 18, 2019. Day one of Arizona men’s golf N.I.T. Men’s Golf Tournament. Omni Tucson National Resort. Tucson, Ariz.

The Arizona men’s golf team is adding some more hardware to its trophy case as it picked up a share of the win in The Prestige Tournament last week. The Wildcats and the University of North Carolina both shot team scores of -4. It is the second tournament win in a row for the Cats and the first time since 2006 that the team has won multiple tournaments in a season, making them our easy choice for the “Daily Wildcat Team of the Week” award. 

The men’s golf team is double-dipping in the Daily Wildcat weekly awards as our sports desk has also named senior golfer Trevor Werbylo the “Daily Wildcat Player of the Week” after winning a share of first place in the individual portion of The Prestige. 

Team of the Week – Arizona men’s golf

It is hard to put into words just how difficult it is to win a college golf tournament. You need every player to play well three rounds in a row. Even just a few bad shots can be the difference between winning and coming in last. So it is beyond impressive for the men’s team to win back-to-back tournaments. 

They were the favorites to win the Arizona Intercollegiate and won that in dominant fashion. The Wildcats then took that momentum into a Prestige Tournament that was played on a difficult golf course against a stacked field. They beat multiple ranked teams and beat rivals Arizona State and Stanford who have historically dominated the Pac-12 golf scene. 

The win helped propel the Cats to No. 4 in the national rankings according to golfstat.com. They are a legitimate threat to win the Pac-12 and a national championship. The team has a ton of senior leadership and experience and plays with a giant chip on their shoulder.  If people were sleeping on the Arizona men’s golf, the win woke them right up. 

RELATED: Roundtable: What is your favorite sports stadium in Tucson?

Player of the Week – Trevor Werbylo

Sticking with the golf team our sports desk unanimously voted senior Trevor Werbylo as its “Daily Wildcat Player of the Week.” Werbylo shot scores of 73-67-69-209 which would have him finish -4 tied with two other players for the top of the leaderboard. 

Werbylo finished in a T-10 in the Arizona Invitational and has played solid golf in his limited season so far. Werbylo had a few clutch moments on his final few holes of The Prestige that not only helped him lock up a share of the win but also for the team. 

Werbylo is a local kid who graduated from Salpointe High School and should have a chance to play professional golf after he graduates from the UA. 

Tune in next week to see who our sports staff chooses for next week’s awards. 

Follow Seth Litwin on Twitter