Presidential packing service

Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat

UA President Robert Shelton helps incoming freshman move into Manzinito Mohave Residence Hall on Thursday Aug 19, 2010.
Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA President Robert Shelton helps incoming freshman move into Manzinito Mohave Residence Hall on Thursday Aug 19, 2010.

Students and their parents moving into Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall were given a warm welcome and a helping hand from UA President Robert Shelton and Executive Vice

President and Provost Meredith Hay as part of Wildcat Welcome.

“”This is so much more fun than sitting in my office wearing a tie,”” Shelton said.

Shelton and Hay were excited to begin helping as they waited for students to arrive.

“”It’s a great day for me and I hope it will be a great day for all the students that move in,”” Shelton said.

Parents and students were surprised to learn that Shelton was the person helping them schlep boxes up to the dorms.

“”I think that’s terrific,”” said parent Bob Alvarenga when asked what he thought about the president helping students with their move. “”I didn’t realize he was the president of the university.””

During down time, Shelton and Hay mingled with students and residence hall staff.

“”It’s exciting. It’s always great when the freshmen move in,”” Hay said. “”I love meeting new families and the fresh new faces.””

Shelton and Hay, along with resident assistants, student volunteers and staff member volunteers helped everyone from students with small sedans to entire U-Hauls.

“”It’s fascinating to see everything people bring to the residence halls,”” Shelton said. “”Lots of stuffed animals seem to show up.””

Student resident assistants were impressed with Shelton’s participation.

“”It’s nice to see he can be down to earth and sweat a little,”” said chemical engineering junior and resident assistant Kiley Yeakel.

Yeakel’s fellow RA, elementary education senior Emily Emeott, said it showed that Shelton was a real person.

Emeott thought it was a great opportunity for students to get to know Shelton, especially since not every student gets the opportunity to meet him.

“”I think it’s awesome for him to get involved,”” said Joseph Pacini, an RA and history senior. “”Move in is a big day for the whole campus.””

Shelton said he thinks the event is a good way to stay in touch with what is really happening.

“”I think it’s an opportunity for them to meet students and family in an informal way,”” said Pam Obando, the associate director of Residence Life communications and outreach.

Move in began at

8 a.m. on Thursday, when 216 resident assistants, 147 student volunteers, and 200 staff member volunteers helped parents and students get situated in all of UA’s 22 residence halls.

Students who wished to move in early the previous day were required to pay a $40 fee.

This year, move in was arranged by floor, giving residents a select time period they could move in. Times were assigned from the top floors down. Students were still able to move in on any of the move in days as long as it was during their assigned time.

“”It seems to be going well and that allows us in the large halls to control the elevators,”” Obando said.

Residents were also given a 30-minute unloading pass that allowed them to park close to the residence hall.

Obando said the unloading pass helped relieve traffic congestion.