Summer Pop-Up artists on display

Rebecca Noble/Arizona Summer Wildcat

Expressionist Eric Jabloner references a photo while painting the newest addition to his series of works from Tucson and Barcelona—two cities Jabloner has found several similarites between—in his studio space at Sonoran Theatre Workshop on July 3. Jabloner supports his “habit of painting” with his day job as the Creative Manager and Sales Manager for Event Technology at Presentation Services Audio and Visual. 

The walls of Artful Living Gallery & Studio are lined with canvases swept with golden, blush and coral pigments. Clusters of turquoise and lavender paint peek from behind the warm hues, simulating a vision of an evening sunset—the colors of the Artful Living Summer Pop-Up Show on July 11.

Jeff Ferst, artist and owner of the Artful Living Gallery & Studio, hopes to celebrate the work of local artists with a wide range of styles and techniques while providing people with a glimpse into the Tucson art scene.

“This is a great opportunity for people from different walks of life to show their works of art,” he said.

Each artist, including Tom Buchanan, Sheryl Holland, Eric Jabloner, Rob Waters and Ferst will exhibit two paintings for the Pop-Up Show. The artists will bring their different styles, ranging from abstract to figurative, while celebrating the surroundings of Tucson.

Ferst has been making art his entire life, but since moving to Tucson three years ago he has seen his art become brighter, inspirited by the Southwest sunsets.

“I’m a colorist, and all the light that is found here in the desert is so inspiring,” he said.

After living in places all over the world, Buchanan has found that Tucson’s luminous aesthetic has inspired his work as well.

“There is just something about the desert here that plays with the light in a very different way than I have been accustomed to,” he said.

Buchanan’s piece, titled “Blue Box,” is a multi- layered abstract piece influenced by the way the light morphs from sunset into the first stars of the night. Playing with color and a sense of space is a constant exploration for Buchanan.

As a member of Contemporary Artists of Southern Arizona, Buchanan appreciates the diversity within the Tucson art community and feels fortunate that the Pop-Up Show provides a space where people can experience many different artists in the downtown art scene.

Holland, an artist often found using vibrant colors in her art, said when one lives in a place with the intensity of the sun, colors and sunsets, it is hard not to be influenced by the surroundings.

Holland’s piece “Fandango” was inspired by the art of theater and the modern-day purchasing of a movie ticket. The painting has a large emphasis on movement and vibrant colors; ranges of fuchsia, purple, lavender and golden hues are used to evoke thought in gallery visitors.

“I love responding to the paint and watching it happen before my eyes,” Holland said. She explains her process of creating a painting like having a conversation with the canvas. The end result is a story told through layers of deep and vibrant colors and textures.

Jabloner said he loves that there are no rules in the Tucson art scene. He uses a variety of watercolor and gouache methodology to recreate colors of historical landmarks in Tucson, such as the Fox Theatre, Hotel Congress and the Barrio Viejo.

As a UA alumnus, Jabloner has found that his inspiration comes from absorbing his surroundings and his love for the city of Tucson. He has seen downtown develop a lively culture of restaurants and entertainment, but said he hopes to see the art scene expand with more art shows for people to get their work seen by the public.

The Summer Pop-Up Show aims to fill the gaps in the art scene, and Jabloner is excited for the potential to share the work of many progressive artists in Tucson.

“It’s a good way to catch a glimpse of the Tucson art world and will only help to bring more of the art scene back into downtown,” Jabloner said.

The Summer Pop-Up Show will have its grand opening July 11 from 6-9 p.m., and will continue to be shown until Aug. 1. The studio is located at 1 E. Broadway Blvd.