What’s the deal with Duffl?

Sohi Kang

The Duffl store, located on 1712 E. Speedway Blvd., is the latest student-led delivery service near campus.

As many students may have seen ads for on their social media, Duffl is a new, completely student-run delivery service company. It has a store located on Speedway, where all operations are run out of.

Duffl Admiral Reza Navadeh describes Duffl as “a fully student-run company that empowers students to help other students in an eco-friendly way.”

Most employees for Duffl are University of Arizona students and a strong majority of them have very positive things to say about it.

“Everyone here is super unique and really cool,” Duffl employee Evamarie Penney said. “It’s also really nice to be able to make people’s days better just from my job, and it’s awesome to see students smile when opening their bags and reading their notes.” 

These notes are a main component of what makes Duffl, Duffl. They are personal notes for each order with a joke or a positive saying to go with the order when it is delivered.

RELATED: UA Student Unions ends partnership with Yandex

“Usually, we have the captains [write the notes], but we are all a team, so it’s really whoever comes up with a fun little quip first,” said Penney.

Duffl wants to distinguish itself from other delivery services such as Gopuff, DoorDash or Grubhub, especially on account of their environmentally-friendly scooters and with their 10-minute guarantee on orders.

“We have very specifically structured our radius so that our electric scooters can reach pretty much anywhere in 10 minutes. It’s also designed for batching so students can take two to three orders out on one trip,” said Navadeh.

Duffl has already been implemented at four schools in California: University of California, Los Angeles, University of Southern California, University of California, Santa Barbara and University of California, Berkeley.

Navadeh mentioned the sustainability of Duffl based on numbers seen at the California schools. 

“The industry average for UberEats, Gopuff and DoorDash is that by car they can take two, maybe three orders an hour. We’re able to reach efficiencies of having eight orders per racer per hour,” said Navadeh. “[The UA] hasn’t reached these numbers yet, however other schools have. So for that reason, we know it’s a sustainable model.”

The UA is the fifth school Duffl has opened operations at and the first school outside of California. Duffl also already has plans to further expand to ASU where they recently opened operations there on March 14.

Content Cadet for Duffl Aubrey Thrower further explained the plans Duffl has here at the UA and what they hope to accomplish.

“The goal is that every student knows about Duffl and thinks about it first and foremost when they’re hungry, when they’re tired or even when they need toilet paper,” Thrower said. “We just want Duffl to be the first thing that everyone thinks of when they need something.” 

Follow Kiara Adams on Twitter