Soccer coaches face their past

Sophomore defender Brianna Caceres puts a touch on the ball with her left foot Sunday against Hawaii at Murphey Stadium. Caceres said the Wildcats need to put together a solid effort for 90 minutes instead of 45 in their games this weekend.

The No. 13 Arizona soccer team will be going into familiar territory this weekend when it takes on Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and Montana at Murphey Stadium.

From 1994 to 1997, UA head coach Dan Tobias had a coaching stint at Cal Poly (3-3-0), who the Wildcats (4-2-0) play tonight at 7, and assistant coach Lisa Oyen attended school and Montana (3-3-0) and will face her alma mater Sunday at 1 p.m.

“”It’s always fun to play against people you respect and like,”” Tobias said. “”Alex (Crozier, head coach of Cal Poly) is a great guy (with a) great program.””

Tobias said that it throws a wrinkle into the game when playing a program that he’s so familiar with.

However, “”once the game starts, that goes out the window,”” he said.

The Wildcats will use the momentum gained from last weekend’s pair of 1-0 wins in the Cats Classic and sophomore goaltender Chelsea McIntyre being named to Soccer Buzz’s Elite Team of the Week.

Tobias said he realizes that the team has not exactly had a bunch of easy, dominating wins; most of the games have been close ones. He said the tournament was a good step, as the team hung on for their wins.

In practice this week he has been working on the simple things and playing better together overall Tobias said. He said the team did not take very good care of the ball, which is the sign of young strikers.

“”I have to remember that our team is young,”” he said. n

McIntyre said she hopes the team can stay organized defensively in the two games this weekend.

“”I want to come up with the saves that I need,”” she said.

Offensively, the Wildcats have had 51 shots on goal, but they have not been able to convert, scoring just six times.

Sophomore defender Brianna Caceres said she wants to see the team finish some of those chances. She said that even though the team has held possession longer than its opponents so far this year, the games have gone close.

There is more to be desired, though.

“”We need to be a more of a 90-minute team, not a 45-minute one,”” she said.