Police Beat: Oct. 23

Ignorance is not a defense

University of Arizona Police Department officers were in the area of Euclid Avenue and Lester Street on Oct. 15 at 12:31 a.m. when they observed a blue Lexus that appeared to be speeding. Police paced the vehicle at 50 mph in a 35 mph zone.

Officers initiated a traffic stop at First Avenue and Grant Road and asked the driver if he knew why he was being stopped. He claimed that he did not know why officers had stopped him. Police then asked the man if he knew what the speed limit was. He replied, “”I have no idea.”” Officers then asked the man if he knew how fast he was going and he replied, “”45 or 50.””

A records check revealed the man had a driver’s license suspension for failure to appear and an outstanding warrant for possession of marijuana, both issued by the Oro Valley Police Department. The man was cited on charges of driving on a suspended license and he was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked. His vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound.

Unidentified man uses ILC to view pornography

UAPD officers responded to the UA Main Library on Oct. 15 in reference to a report of a man viewing child pornography. Upon arrival, officers made contact with a library employee who told them that a student had informed them that an unidentified man had been viewing pornography on a computer in the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center.

According to reports, the man was viewing pornography when a student informed him that he was not allowed to do that in the library. The man then closed the window he was viewing, which exposed another window with advertisements on it for “”little girls,”” “”little models,”” and “”little princesses.”” A description of the man was given to police, who searched the area in an attempt to locate him. Library employees turned the computer over to police who will try to determine the identity of the mysterious computer user.

Bush removal angers homeowner

UAPD officers responded to 1125 N. Vine Ave. on Oct. 15 at 3:45 p.m. in reference to a belligerent man. Upon arrival, officers met with a man matching descriptions they were given. According to police, the man was irate and argumentative. The man told police that the university had purchased a property adjacent to his and cut down some bushes that were planted along the property line. He further told officers he had come to the location on campus to voice his complaints because he felt he had been wronged. Officers told the man that they had been dispatched because the employee that he had been attempting to voice his complaints to was in fear of her safety. The man replied, “”Well, fuck her.”” Police provided for the man the address and phone number of the university office that would be able to properly assist him and warned him against trespassing on campus.

Transient woman cited for trespassing on campus

UAPD officers observed a woman rummaging through a dumpster near the Parker House, 1775 E. First St., on Oct. 16 at 9:49 a.m. When officers approached, the woman was seated on the sidewalk with food and other debris scattered around her. The woman verbally identified herself and officers recognized her from previous contacts with her.

A records check revealed that the woman had an active exclusionary order issued against her on July 11 of this year and a previous exclusionary order issued in May of this year. Officers advised the woman of the meaning of an exclusionary order. She told police that she did not care and that she would travel wherever she pleased.

Officers arrested the woman on charges of criminal trespassing and interfering with an educational institution and issued a new exclusionary order. When officers told the woman she was being placed under arrest, she replied, “”Don’t arrest me. If you arrest me, I will kill myself tomorrow. I’ll kill myself.”” The woman was transported to Pima County Jail where she was booked. UAPD officers advised jail officials of the woman’s suicidal comments.

Not a fun day to own a Hyundai

UAPD officers responded to the Park Avenue Parking Garage on Oct. 16 at 12:54 p.m. in reference to criminal damage to a vehicle. Upon arrival, officers met with the owner of a Hyundai who told police that his driver side door mirror had been damaged by an unknown person or persons. He told officers that he parked his car in the garage at 9:05 a.m. When he returned at 10:20 a.m., the mirror housing was broken. He checked the vehicle next to where he had parked but could see no signs of damage. Police have no suspects or leads at this time.

The last of the headbands

UAPD officers responded to the UofA Bookstore on Oct. 16 at 5:36 p.m. in reference to a shoplifter in custody. Upon arrival, officers met with bookstore employees who told them they had watched a man enter the store, place a headband in his left rear pocket, pay for a shirt, and exit the store without paying for the headband. According to police, the alleged shoplifter claimed that he had put the headband in his pocket because it was the last one in the store and he had intended to pay for it. He forgot that it was there when he purchased a shirt and accidentally left the store without paying for the item. He was cited on charges of shoplifting and he was released on scene. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students.