Police Beat

Students unsettled by man’s nervous arm-waving

Police were called to check a man’s welfare in the Center for English as a Second Language Feb. 13 at 10:55 a.m.

A person reported that for the past two weeks, a man had been violently rocking his body and waving his arms in the lobby of the building. The behavior had caused concern amongst faculty and students.

Police saw the man in the lobby, rocking and waving his arms in a disorganized manner. Police noted that the behavior caused a “”level of discomfort”” amongst the students observing the man. Police made contact with the man and asked him to stop making those motions. The man complied.

He told officers that he had a physics class in the building at 11 a.m. He said that when he gets bored or nervous he will start rocking his body and waving his arms. He told officers that this helps him relax and pay more attention when he is in class. He said that he was unaware of any medical conditions that would cause him to have such behavior. The man also denied being on any medication.

Police offered the man medical assistance, but he refused. He said he would try to stop the behavior in public places, but that he could not defeat the habit completely.

The Dean of Student’s Office was notified of the situation.

“”I can’t tell if she is breathing.””

A woman was cited and released for being a minor in possession Feb. 13 at 12:30 a.m.

Police responded to Coronado Residence Hall in reference to a woman unconscious on the floor. When they arrived, they made contact with a resident assistant who said that while he was walking down the hall he heard an unknown woman say, “”I can’t tell if she is breathing.”” The RA looked into the door and saw a woman on the floor with two other women standing above her.

Police were unable to wake the woman, but could tell that she was breathing. Tucson Fire Deartment was called to the scene.

When they arrived, TFD attempted to wake her, but were unsuccessful. She began to vomit while they were checking her. The woman was transported to University Medical Center.

Police went to follow up on the case at 4 a.m., but the woman was still passed out and had hardly spoken to any of the staff. An officer went back at 10:35 a.m. to speak to the woman, who was conscious and checking out of the hospital.

She told the officer that she knew she was in the hospital because she drank too much the night before. She said she had been drinking vodka, but she did not know how much she had to drink. The woman said she had been drinking at a house party that was being held by members of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity. She said the party was not at the fraternity house, but at a private residence. A person from the party had given her a ride, and she could not recall the address, but said she did know the party was “”being put on by AEPi.””

The woman was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol. Her blood alcohol content was .295.

Man arrested for outstanding warrant, drugs

A man was arrested for drug and driving charges Feb. 14 at 9:37 p.m.

While on patrol, an officer noticed that a vehicle had expired registration. A check on the car confirmed the expired registration and showed a warrant for a man associated with the vehicle. The officer pulled over the vehicle.

The man told the officer that he did not have current registration. The officer noted that he immediately smelt a strong odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The man said that he did have marijuana in the car.

A check of the man’s name showed that he had a warrant out from Tucson Police Department for failure to appear for marijuana and drug paraphernalia charges. He also had a suspended driver’s license.

The officer conducted a search of the vehicle, and found a baggie with marijuana in the center console. There was also marijuana in the seat pocket behind the driver’s seat inside of a Christmas card.

The man was arrested and taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked for possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, driving on a suspended license, having no current registration and for his warrant. The marijuana and paraphernalia were seized and his car was impounded.

Poem recording session goes awry

A man was given an exclusionary order on Feb. 14 at 10:04 a.m.

Police responded to the UA Main Library after a man said he had been threatened. The man said he was working when another man made eye contact with him and said, “”Don’t mess with me mister.”” The caller said that he did not feel threatened by what the man had said because he was an old army veteran. He called University of Arizona Police Department though because he wanted them to intervene so he could avoid being provoked by the other man, “”consequently causing him harm.””

Police made contact with the other man who said he was recording a poem when he was distracted by the army veteran’s whistling. He said he asked the army veteran to please quiet down in a polite manner, but when he did not, he did say not to mess with him.

Dispatch advised officers that the man who was recording his poem had contact with UAPD twice in 2008 for disturbing the peace.

The man was given an exclusionary order and told he could not be on any UA owned, rented or controlled land for six months.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.