Club organizes ‘high school’ dance

In an effort to promote bonding between clubs on campus, India Club is hosting a formal “”high school-style”” dance for all UA students.

The formal dance, called “”A Vision in Red,”” includes dinner, dancing and professional photography. The dance starts at 8 p.m. in the grand ballroom of the Student Union Memorial Center.

“”I’ve gone through three years of being at the U of A but I’ve never really known a lot of the clubs,”” event coordinator and molecular and cellular biology junior, Kinjal Patel said. “”So when I actually just looked for our club on the recognition list I was surprised (to see) all these clubs, and I was like, ‘You know what, we should really get together and do something.'””

Over 175 people are expected to attend the dance, Kinjal Patel said.

“”It’s fun for everyone to actually be like, ‘Hey, we’re from different clubs, I don’t know who you are but I’ve seen you in my classes,'”” she said.

A few fraternities and sororities have bought groups of tickets, but most tickets have been bought by individuals who are looking for an event that allows them to relax and have fun, Patel said.

“”A lot of people are like, ‘There’s no formals, no time to dress up (in college),'”” economics senior and treasurer of the India Club Swati Patel said.

This dance gives students a chance to not feel so grown-up, Kinjal Patel said.

“”It’s like high school back in college,”” she added.

Kinjal Patel said men don’t have to wear suits, but the club’s president and pre-pharmacy junior, Gaurav Shinde, said he is going to wear one anyway.

Attendees may want to dress to impress because someone will win best-dressed male and female awards, as well as being eligible for the best dancer awards, Kinjal Patel said.

Every club at the dance will have a chance to speak to attendees and encourage people to join their organization.

“”If we get enough show from another club, definitely we’re going to tell them to introduce their club and what they do,”” Shinde said.

The idea behind the dance is to meet new people, Shinde said.

“”I’ve met a lot of new people just selling tickets,”” Swati Patel said.

The India Club, like the dance, isn’t just for people of Indian descent, Kinjal Patel said.

“”We definitely encourage everyone (to join),”” she said.

The club has about 165 members who meet monthly for social events like Garba, an Indian dance festival, and volleyball games to promote unity within the club, Kinjal Patel said.

Students who want to attend the “”A Vision in Red”” formal dance can buy tickets on the UA Mall today from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The $10 cost covers dinner, dancing and a photo, Patel said.