Music Reviews

Rihanna…A Girl Like Me…7/10

Rihanna’s new album, A Girl Like Me, is a more mature attempt than her last. The album kicks off with a chart-topping, sexy club tune, “”S.O.S,”” which rips off a familiar beat from the ’80s group Soft Cell’s song “”Tainted Love.””

The album impressively jumps from genre to genre, switching from slow-paced heartbreak songs to upbeat R&B tunes. Rihanna confidently breaks out groovy reggae beats in her songs “”Selfish girl”” and “”Break it up,”” which feature reggae-tone superstar Sean Paul.

Although A Girl Like Me is not as consistent as Rihanna’s first album, Music of the Sun, its complexity surpasses her freshman attempt. This 18-year-old pop star has proven herself and returned with a second, fresh-sounding album.

-Katy Graham

Ari Shine…Age/Occupation…3/10

Ari Shine’s album, Age/Occupation is terrible.ÿHe sounds exactly like the rest of the trendy Los Angeles rock artists out there who suck. You can’t understand or even hear the lyrics because of their redundant nature. When you catch an earful of Shine’s clatter, he seems to be dealing with all sorts of clichǸs, such as businessmen at the strip club cheating on their wives.ÿThe one thing he has going is his voice, which proves to be rather soulful despite his lack of talent and originality. The album’s briefness (six tracks) is another plus. My suggestion is this: Don’t buy the album, and in lieu of the recent RIAA lawsuits, don’t even download it, because frankly, an Ari Shine album would be a terrible way to go out. Check the Web site biannual to see if the lead singer has come out with any new material that vilifies his voice.ÿIf not, admire the Web site, it’s nice.

-Luke Mihalovic

Wofmother…Wolfmother…7/10

It may be 2006, but Wolfmother’s album, Wolfmother, is pure classic rock – a modern-day 1970s album. Mix three-quarters Black Sabbath and one-quarter Led Zeppelin and you get the Australian native Wolfmother.

Most songs on the album are upbeat and filled with guitar riffs in classic-rock form. There is even a jazz flute in one song.

The sound of each song is similar, but unlike other bands, the songs are actually distinguishable. By far the best tracks on the album are “”Woman”” and “”Love Train.””

Putting its weird name aside, Wolfmother is an excellent band to keep an eye on.

-Amy Wieseneck