Families celebrate Hispanic heritage

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The No. 9 Arizona Wildcats hosted the Oregon State Beavers at Arizona Stadium Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010, in Tucson, Ariz. Oregon State upset the home team 27-29.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The No. 9 Arizona Wildcats hosted the Oregon State Beavers at Arizona Stadium Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010, in Tucson, Ariz. Oregon State upset the home team 27-29.

Students, families and alumni celebrated Hispanic culture before the football game Saturday.

The UA Hispanic Alumni Club hosted a tailgate fiesta in honor of Hispanic Heritage Day. The organization holds the event every year for a few hundred members of the UA community.

“”This year it coincides with Family Weekend, which is great,”” said Aarón Almada, Homecoming and Hispanic Heritage Day chair for the UA Hispanic Alumni Club.

Streamers and piñatas decorated the tailgating tent, while a disc jockey played mariachi music. Attendees could purchase Mexican food and bilingual children’s books.

“”(The event) just highlights Hispanic culture at the UA,”” said Janis Gallego, special events chair for the UA Hispanic Alumni Club.

UA student groups Mariachi Arizona and Grupo Folklorico Miztontli later performed music and dances. The students, along with high school groups, also performed at the football game.

“”Because it’s Family Weekend, we’re highlighting UA groups,”” said Patsy Klein, who organized the mariachi groups and folk dancers. “”It’s always fun.””

Student volunteers said the fiesta was an entertaining display of culture.

“”It brings us back to our roots and reminds us of where we come from,”” said Itzel Rodriguez, a sophomore majoring in math and biology.

Spanish sophomore Paloma Garcia said she enjoyed the cultural unity at the event.

“”It gives you a place at the university, too,”” Garcia said.

The fiesta provided families with a fun event before the football game.

“”My parents are going to come later,”” Rodriguez said. “”I really enjoy that they’re doing this the same weekend.””

Jim and Elvia Wright came from Greer, Ariz., to visit their daughter, accounting junior Johanna Wright, for Family Weekend. The three attended the fiesta before the football game.

“”Where we come from, you don’t see any activities with culture,”” Jim Wright said. “”It’s nice.””

Elvia Wright said she was glad the event coincided with their visit.

“”It’s a very good connection,”” she said.

Johanna Wright said college is so chaotic that she can forget to focus on her heritage.

“”I think events like this are good to keep the culture mixed with college,”” Johanna Wright said. “”And parents help with that.””