Film series is now a class

Graduate students in the Department of German Studies will present the fourth installment of the German Studies Film Series tonight with “”Agnes and his Brothers.””

The series is hosted by the students and is actually a class, said Barbara Kosta, an associate professor of German studies.

Until three years ago, the series was a sponsored event at the university. It was changed to a class because of funding issues, Kosta said.

“”We offer a wide range of (German) films,”” she said. “”We have had silent films, all the way to contemporary.””

The fall 2007 series began Sept. 6 and has presented three movies so far – “”Kebab Connection,”” “”Sophie Scholl: The Last Days”” and “”Chingachgook.”” The movies represent all different genres, including drama and comedy.

“”Agnes and his Brothers”” was released in 2004 and directed by Oskar Roehler, a multi-award winner in Germany.

The movie follows the lives of Agnes, a man turned woman who is struggling with the relationship she never had with her mother and the issues that have consequently arisen in her personal life.

Agnes’ brother Hans is a struggling sex addict who hides behind his meek job as a librarian.

The oldest brother, Werner, is trying to rekindle the flame of his marriage while trying to deal with his son’s drug problem.

The brothers are very different and are only alike in that they share a crazy father, major problems within their personal lives and an interest in personal happiness.

The movie won Best Screenplay at the Bavarian Film Awards in 2005 and Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role at the German Film Awards that year. It was also nominated for Outstanding Feature Film at the German Film Awards.

The series will present two more films in November, “”Before the Fall”” on Nov. 1 and “”The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”” on Nov. 15.

All the movies presented in the series are in German and include English subtitles.

The film will be presented at 7:30 p.m. in Room 140 of the Integrated Learning Center. The series is free for the public. For more information, contact the Department of German Studies at 621-7385.