Women’s tennis welcomes additions to roster

After graduating pivotal senior Danielle Steinberg last spring, Arizona women’s tennis is looking to regroup. Just over a week away from the first official practice, assistant coach Ryan Stotland encouraged the team to “”step up”” for the fall season.

“”We need the seniors to be leaders and help guide the younger ones,”” he said. “”It needs to be a big team effort.””

Stotland acknowledged that losing Steinberg as a player will be tough on the lineup, but is confident that this season’s players are capable of filling the breach.

“”We lost a very important player … it’s the way turnover works,”” he said. In terms of raising their levels of play, he added, “”We feel (the players) are capable of doing it, so that’s what we’ll strive for.””

The fall season focuses on the individual efforts of the players, and while the results count toward a player’s individual record, they do not affect team standings. Stotland described the fall season as a learning opportunity for the players.

“”We get to work on their game,”” he said. “”It’s all about improving for the spring and building their futures.””

The Wildcats are bolstered by Shannon Cassidy of Yuba City, Calif. — a sophomore transfer from the University of Nevada. Also joining the team is freshman Elizabeth Hammond of Scottsdale, Ariz.

Without competing in an official practice or tournament with the Wildcats, the new players’ respective impacts on the team remain to be seen. Nonetheless, Stotland is enthusiastic about the current roster.

“”We’re looking forward to a good season,”” he said.