Arizona basketball’s Zach Peters calls it quits

Tyler Baker
Tyler Baker / The Daily Wildcat

The UA announced over the weekend that Arizona men’s basketball player Zach Peters will retire due to injuries.

Peters, who played one season at Arizona after transferring from Kansas, played in 11 games in the 2013-14 season, playing 31 minutes, grabbing four rebounds and scoring zero points.

“I want to thank everyone who has supported me throughout my basketball career,” Peters said in a press release. “I especially want to thank my family, as well as the medical staff, coaching staff and my teammates at the University of Arizona for their support over the course of a trying year.”

Peters will remain on scholarship and a student at the UA, which filed a medical exemption for him.
Peters’ scholarship will not count against Arizona’s scholarship limit if the NCAA approves the exemption.

“You never want to see anyone’s athletic career cut short by injury, especially a person of Zach’s character,” head coach Sean Miller said in a press release. “That being said, this is a decision made with an eye toward Zach’s bright and productive future. He has nothing but our full support as he begins his next chapter.”

Peters intends to pursue a business degree.

The UA did not specify what the injury was, but Peters transferred to Arizona from Kansas after spending his first season at KU. Before coming to Arizona, Peters suffered a series of concussions and a shoulder injury.

“As advised by many medical professionals, this is the best course of action to ensure myself a safe and healthy future,” Peters said. “I’m excited to remain a student and pursue a degree at the University of Arizona.”

In September, the NCAA declared Peters eligible to play in 2013-14, so he was not required to sit out a season like most transfers. Peters did not play in any games for the Jayhawks.

Peters is the fourth scholarship player the Wildcats have lost since the season ended. Back-up guard Jordin Mayes’ eligibility ran out, while forward Aaron Gordon and guard Nick Johnson left early for the NBA draft. Walk-on forward Eric Conklin is set to transfer.

The Wildcats are adding four freshmen and a junior college transfer, which is a top 10 recruiting class.

—Follow James Kelley @JamesKelley520