Hot ‘n’ not Dec. 10

Keenan Turner
Keenan Turner/ The Daily Wildcat ASU”s Michael Cummings fights for the puck from UA’s Wil Pointon on Friday at the TCC.

Hot

The Arizona men’s basketball team is now ranked No. 1 in the nation after defeating UNLV 63-58 on Saturday. McKale Center was louder than usual for this game, getting Arizona fans together for the “white-out.”

Senior Jake Fischer was named the Football Senior Scholar-Athlete during the 2013 season annual banquet on Sunday. He was honored with the Tedy Bruschi Award for the second year in a row.

Junior Ka’Deem Carey was named the Most Valuable Player for the second year in a row. Chosen by a voting of the Pac-12 conference coaches, he was also chosen for the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year. Carey is Arizona’s all-time leading rusher with 4,070 yards.

A group of Arizona swimmers qualified for the NCAA Tournament this past weekend. The swimmers qualified for 10 individual events after finishing their fall season at the Texas Invitational in Austin. Junior Kevin Cordes set an American record in the 100y breaststroke with a time of 50.70.

Not

No. 13 Arizona hockey couldn’t get any wins against No. 1 ASU last Friday and Saturday. The Wildcats lost 7-4 on Friday, and was completely swept on Saturday losing 13-2. Arizona has now lost 36 consecutive games against the arch rivals.

With hopes of getting deep into the tournament and defeating San Diego to be part of the Sweet Sixteen, Arizona volleyball lost in the second round of the tournament in three sets. The Wildcats were defeated by the Toreros, ending their season sooner than they hoped.

The Arizona women’s basketball team has a five game losing streak as they move along with the season. They were defeated during their last game against UAB last week, 63-53. Mistakes were what cost them that game, according to head coach Niya Butts.

Former Wildcat and current Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles threw his very first interception of the season during Sunday’s game against the Detroit Lions. It was during the second quarter when Foles lost the chance to tie Peyton Manning’s record of 20 touchdown passes without an interception.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal