Spectrum

Monday

Bloody Birthday- The Loft’s Mondo Mondays presents this film about sociopathic children born on the night of a solar eclipse, which tells them to start murdering their parents and friends as soon as they reach an age with double digits. Filmed in the height of the slasher movie craze, this film is so bad it’s good and is highly politically incorrect. 8 p.m. $2. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Tuesday

The Octopus Project- This indietronic band will have you jiving with their hip beats and infectious music. One of the most popular experimental electronic bands to ever come out of Austin, Texas, they are known for their highly energized shows and for populating the stage with stuffed animals. With the Diagonals and La Cerca. 8 p.m. $10 advance, $12 day of show. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. (21+)

Wednesday

The Tammies- The Tucson Weekly will honor the recipient of the Tammies, Tucson’s Critic’s choice and Reader’s choice awards. Performers include local bands such as Golden Boots, Tom Walbank, Mike Nordberg and the Crystal Ridge Bluegrass Band. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Showtime at 7 p.m. Free. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Thursday

Ryanhood- This local acoustic guitar duo of Ryan Green and Cameron Hood have toured with Jason Mraz. This concert is a loving ode to their hometown before they kick off their next fall tour. 7 p.m. $7. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St.

Friday

Tom Walbank and the Ambassadors Vinyl Release Party- Digital elitists beware: Tom Walbank and the Ambassadors are releasing their new album Sugarmama and the only way to hear it is by taking a needle to the vinyl. Come watch the band perform live and celebrate this local production released on Mudhouse Records. With Fell City Shouts. 8 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. (21+)

Saturday

Tucson Roller Derby 2008 Championship- Tucson’s four major teams will face off in the culminating event of the season. Watch as the Copper Queens, Furious Truckstop Waitresses, Vice Squad and Iron Curtain battle it out on the skating rink. Musical guests during intermission include Mr. Free and the Satellite Freakout. 6:30 p.m. $10. Bladeworld, 1065 W. Grant Road

KXCI Benefit Concert- Kevin Pakulis Band and Greyhound Soul will perform at this concert to benefit Tucson’s community radio station, KXCI. Support grassroots radio and local artists in your community. Doors open at 7 p.m. $10. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Sunday 17

S.I.N. (Service Industry Night) and Club Karaoke- If you’ve ever dreamed of performing on the Club Congress stage, here’s your chance. Sign up early for the popular Club Karaoke because the crowds have been known to get pretty rowdy. Also, sometimes they get naked (which might have something to do with the $3 drinks). Free. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St.

Monday 18

Free Bingo!- Celebrate the beginning of the school year by gambling your youth away. If you are dressed in Wildcat attire or have anything school-spirit related, you can also receive half-off on an hour or more of pool and pingpong. 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Free. Games Room, Downstairs in Student Union

Tuesday 19

A Hard Day’s Night- The United Artists’ 90th anniversary means that new 35mm prints of Hollywood classics are being screened all month long at the Loft. This film stars the Beatles in their first cheesy movie that made girls squeal in an even higher pitch than they had before. Go to loftcinema.com for movie times. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Wednesday 20

Atomik Circus- Apparently the French are great at making sci-fi movies. Vanessa Paradis, married to Johnny Depp, plays the wife of a stuntman whose stunt goes horribly wrong, landing him in jail. But that won’t stop him from breaking loose to help save the town from an alien attack. 7:30 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Thursday 21

Wildcat Welcome Sizzle- If you can trudge through the construction and make it into the Park Student Union, you will find a fanciful spectacle of music and free food. A nice Wildcat Welcome to start the year off right. 5-9 p.m. Free. The Park Student Union Stage

Friday 22

Lights Out in the Cellar: Wildcat Welcome- Another welcoming event to remind you that the UA is your community. This Lights Out get-together is a late-night fun fest where you can enjoy free food (probably including cupcakes), music, entertainment and button-making. 9:30 p.m. to midnight. Free. The Cellar, Student Union Memorial Center.

Saturday 23

Downtown Saturday Night- This festival used to be held weekly in the ’90s but it slowly died down. Head downtown for its revival where there will be DJs, food, shopping and an awesome community experience. Free. Congress Street

Sunday 24

Tardeados Poderosas (Afternoon Delight)- This event is hosted by radio KZLZ La Poderosa 105.2 fm. Listen to live banda music and visit with DJs – maybe they’ll even show you how to salsa. 6 p.m. $5. Los Arcos Event Center, 4615 S. Park Ave.

– compiled by Alexandria Kassman