University resources keep campus diverse

With a diverse student body of nearly 40,000, the UA offers a number of services to students within various religions, ethnicities and sexual orientations to make them feel at home on campus.

Part of the university’s diversity statement says “We create opportunities for engagement across communities to increase our creativity, enhance our ability to think critically, and to fully realize our leadership potential,” according to the UA’s diversity website.

For LGBTQ and allied students, ASUA Pride Alliance is the club to join.

Greg Daniels, a Pride Alliance intern, considers the Pride Alliance space, located on the fourth floor of the Student Union Memorial Center, a home away from home.

“It’s nice to have a home base to go to between classes and know that someone nice will always greet you with a smile and strike up a conversation,” Daniels said.

Daniels said that the Pride Alliance space is also a great resource center for those who want to become better supporters of the LGBTQ community, or need more information about coming out or transitioning.

For students interested in learning about gender and equality, the Women’s Resource Center is located on the fourth floor of SUMC.

According to the WRC’s website, their mission is “[to promote] gender equity through education, leadership development, and advocacy.”

Students from diverse ethic backgrounds, or students who simply want to learn more about other cultures, can visit one of the UA’s four cultural centers, which include African American Student Affairs, Asian Pacific American Student Affairs, Chicano/Hispano Student Affairs, and Native American Student Affairs.

“Our mission here is to serve our individual populations, to help comfort and feel a sense of community.” said Benjamin Mills, the centers’ coordinator.

Mills said that each cultural center has a club council and representatives, who come together to form program outreach activities and events for each heritage month. They also work together to host speakers or presentations on campus.

For students who want to immerse themselves in social justice and culture, they can apply for a space to live in the new Social Justice Wing, a new living community offered in Babcock residence hall.

Andrew Aslaksen, associate director of residential education, said that the Social Justice Wing is a live-and-learn community that offers students an opportunity to live in an accepting environment. According to Aslaksen, dorm room spaces have been filled, but interested students can still apply to be on the wait list.