Hot ‘n’ not March Madness

Rebecca Marie Sasnett

After a breakaway, Arizona sophomore guard Gabe York (1) lays the ball up during Arizona’s 84-61 victory against Gonzaga in the NCAA Tournament in Viejas Arena in San Diego. Arizona reached the sweet sixteen for the second year in a row.

Hot
Arizona men’s basketball made it to its third Sweet Sixteen in the last four years. The No. 1 seed Wildcats beat No. 8-seed Gonzaga 84-61 on Sunday in the Round of 32, after opening with a 68-59 win over No. 16 seed Weber State. Arizona will face San Diego State in Anaheim, Calif., for a spot in the Elite Eight, which would be Sean Miller’s second with Arizona.

Arizona junior guard Nick Johnson is one of the four national finalists for this year’s Naismith Men’s College Player of the Year Trophy. If Johnson wins the trophy, he will become the first Arizona player to earn this award.

Arizona softball won five games in a row after getting swept at No. 1 UCLA. The Wildcats won two at UNLV, and then three against Oregon State by the mercy rule. Arizona outscored the Beavers 36-2 over 15 innings.

The Arizona women’s tennis team defeated Oregon on Saturday to move to a 14-1 record for the season and a perfect 3-0 in Pac-12 conference play. Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said that the women have been able to dominate some really solid teams so far.

Not
Arizona baseball has only won one of the seven games it has played since March 14. The Wildcats beat Washington State once, but then lost their next two games to the Cougars. Arizona then lost a single game to Grand Canyon and was swept by Washington. Arizona is 1-5 in the Pac-12.

Wichita State became the first No. 1 seed to be knocked out of the NCAA tournament when it lost the first game of its season on Sunday to No. 8-seed Kentucky. The Shockers (35-1) won an NCAA-record 35 games to start the season, but failed to become the first undefeated national champion since Indiana in 1976.

The Arizona Diamondbacks traveled to Australia to lose both games against the Los Angeles Dodgers over the weekend. The Diamondbacks dropped the first game 3-1 and the second game 7-5. Arizona has its home opener on March 31 against the San Francisco Giants.

The top NFL draft prospect, former Michigan offensive lineman Taylor Lewan, is facing assault charges. Lewan allegedly assaulted two Ohio State fans in an incident that occurred after Michigan’s loss to Ohio State on Dec 1. If convicted, he will face a fine of up to $500 or 93 days in jail.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal