Police Beat: 12/06/17

Alex McIntyre
A University of Arizona Police Department officer makes a call while standing by near the Koffler building on the UA campus.

It’s The Thought That Counts

On Oct. 30 at a little after 2 p.m., a University of Arizona Police Department officer was called to the UA Bookstore on account of a shoplifting incident. 

The suspect, who had no affiliation to the UA, had been caught trying to shoplift a pair of women’s underwear. He told the officer he had intended to give the underwear to his girlfriend as a gift.

While browsing the bookstore, he found a pair of women’s underwear on display in the women’s clothing section.

The underwear was white and blue UA women’s cloth underwear priced at $19.99.

Initially, the man brought the item to the cash register area, intending to pay for the item. However, he told officers that he did not have time to wait in line. 

The man proceeded to remove the tag from the underwear and hide the item in his pants pocket. He then left out of the main exit, not having paid for the underwear.

The man reported to police that he cooperated when security confronted him in the breezeway about the stolen item.

No damage was done to the item, other than the missing tag. However, the underwear will not go back on display.

The officer cited the man for shoplifting after reading him his Miranda Rights. Additionally, the man was given an exclusionary order to stay out of the bookstore.

Scratching At My Chamber Door

On Nov. 1 at 1 p.m., UAPD responded to a call from a student at Coronado Residence Hall regarding vandalism on the door to his room.

The student told the officer that at around 9:30 a.m. he walked out of his room and found two unexplained paper drinking cups on the carpet right outside his dorm. 

When he looked at his door, he discovered someone had carved the Greek letters SAE into the door, approximately one foot above the doorknob. Upon further inspection, the student also noticed scratch marks in the upper right corner of the door. 

The officer noted that the scratches all seemed to have been made by the same unknown sharp-edged object.

The student told the officer that when he had returned to his room at 3 a.m. that morning after a night out, the door had shown no sign of damage. 

He informed the officer than he is not a member of any fraternity. His roommate is in a fraternity, but not Sigma Alpha Epsilon, or SAE for short.

The hall director promised the officer that he would review hall security footage and look for any sign of suspicious activity near the student’s door.

No suspects were identified at the time of the report. 

Follow Vanessa Ontiveros on Twitter