Hollowell sets team standard

Alicia Hollowell
    Alicia Hollowell

Senior Standouts

For the Arizona softball team, there has been no player more dominant over the last four years than senior right-handed pitcher Alicia Hollowell.

Following in the footsteps of softball alums Jennie Finch and assistant coach Nancy Evans, Hollowell has turned into one of the most successful pitchers in Arizona history. She set several records, including the wins record, passing Evans for first all-time with 133 career wins and counting through May 7.

Hollowell said her accolades are just a result of hard work and a good opportunity.

“”I knew Arizona had a great tradition of pitchers, and I just wanted to come in here and do my part by working as hard as I could and doing the best I could,”” she said.

The three-time All-American is also first in innings pitched (1,040) and strikeouts (1,644), and sixth all-time in career ERA (0.87). Hollowell’s innings pitched record is nearly 200 innings ahead of Finch, and her strikeout record is more than 600 strikeouts ahead of Finch.

“”She came into our program as a freshman and took the ball and ran with it,”” Arizona head coach Mike Candrea said of the ace. “”It’s good to see a career like that. The only thing she’s missing right now is a championship.””