Sisters Vivian and Yu-Sang Hou dominate at Stanford golf tournament

ANNIKA Foundation
Vivian Hou watches the ball after she successfully drives it down the green during the ANNIKA Intercollegiate practice round.

On the weekend of Oct. 13, Arizona’s own golfing super sisters Vivian and Yu-Sang Hou played their way to a third-place team finish in the Stanford Intercollegiate Tournament. Vivian Hou finished in second place, shooting an incredible seven shots under par. Yu-Sang Hou finished fifth, shooting three strokes under par. 

“It feels amazing to be named Pac-12 Golfer of the Month for my first month of school,” Vivian Hou said.

She took home the great honor of the title for September.

“I’m very proud that she won the golfer of the month,” Yu-Sang Hou said.

After such great performances and their first podium finish as a team, they couldn’t help but reflect on why they love golf. Both Vivian and Yu-Sang Hou said they love golf for how challenging it can be. 

“You always try to be the best you can and try to improve as much as you can,” Vivian Hou said. 

Yu-Sang Hou appreciates how golf is an inclusive sport.

“Golf is a sport for everyone,” Yu-Sang Hou said. “There’s no, like, certain people who play better because of certain things, like body type.” 

Their love for golf started from a very young age, which is perhaps what gave them such an edge at Stanford.

“I started playing golf because my dad took Vivian and I to the driving range and I just fell in love with it,” Yu-Sang Hou said.

The Hou sisters learned the game from their father and haven’t stopped playing since.

“Vivian and I always golf together,” Yu-Sang Hou said. “Only my first year in college we didn’t do anything together since she was back home. I love doing things with Vivian. She is very funny and we have totally opposite personalities and golf game, so I definitely love to play with her.”

Much like her sister, Vivian had nothing but praise for her golf partner, Yu-Sang Hou.

“We always practice together, and we actually did everything together,” Vivian Hou said. “[I] couldn’t ask for more about having a sister and playing golf together — it’s the best.”

Vivian and Yu-Sang Hou played great golf in California at the Stanford Intercollegiate Tournament. Vivian came second only to Stanford’s own player. After such great performances, they can only look forward to their next tournament: the East Lake Cup in Atlanta, Ga.

“Every tournament I play means a lot to me, and I will always try to find something I can do better after the tournament,” Vivian Hou said. “I’m really excited about the East Lake Cup and can’t wait to play on the course.”

Yu-Sang Hou looked back on where she could have improved in the Stanford Intercollegiate Tournament.

“I was struggling in the first round,” Yu-Sang Hou said. “I just couldn’t hit the ball the way I wanted, but after that, coach and I found out some ways that could help me. I’m very happy that I was able to finish strong.”

Yu-Sang Hou is excited for the East Lake Cup and motivated to get better and is already training for their trip to Atlanta on Monday.

“I’m definitely trying to work on getting stronger and being more consistent, also working on my approach shot,” Yu-Sang Hou said. “I will keep playing the way I play, like coach always says.”

Vivian Hou waits with bated breath for her chance to get to Georgia. Just like her sister, she has places where she thought she could improve.

Vivian Hou thought that being more confident and patient while playing will give her the edge in the East Lake Cup. 

“I think I will just stay focused and play my best golf,” Vivian Hou said.

Vivian Hou, Yu-Sang Hou and the rest of the Arizona women’s golf team are headed to Atlanta, Ga. for the East Lake Cup starting Monday, Oct. 28, and ending Wednesday, Oct. 30. They will be looking to repeat their performances at Stanford and finish third or better again. The East Lake Cup will be available to watch on the Golf Channel.

Follow Jett Neeley on Twitter.