Police Beat: Nov. 25

Sun Tran rider threatens to smash faces

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a report of an individual threatening a fellow rider at a Sun Tran bus stop near 1630 E. University Blvd. on Nov. 18 at 1:56 p.m. Upon arrival, officers met with a man who claimed that an unidentified man on bus 2056 had threatened him, claiming he would “”smash his face in.”” The man then gave police a description of the individual who had threatened him. Officers located the bus and initiated a traffic stop. They boarded the bus and were able to locate the suspect. He was positively identified as the man who had made the verbal threats and he stated that the man he threatened was “”fucking crazy.”” A records check revealed that he had an outstanding warrant for disorderly conduct. He was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked.

Larceny reported at Pi Kappa Phi

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity house at 1449 N. Cherry Ave. on Nov. 19 at 9:52 a.m. in reference to a report of a vehicle break-in. Upon arrival, officers met with a woman who stated that an unknown person or persons broke into her Chevrolet Avalanche and stole several items of value. According to the woman, she secured her vehicle in the parking lot at approximately 2 a.m. on Nov. 19. When she returned at 7:45 a.m. she noticed the front passenger window had been broken and multiple valuables were missing. Among the items taken were a purse, a wallet, several credit and debit cards, a CatCard, a math textbook and a Dell laptop charger. The woman claimed that she had not heard her vehicle’s alarm go off and said she did not know of anybody that would have stolen from her. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

“”Bad state of mind”” leads to shoplifting bind

UAPD officers responded to the UofA Bookstore on Nov. 18 at 12:31 p.m. in reference to a report of a shoplifter in custody. Upon arrival, officers met with bookstore security who told them that a man who had tried to steal a pair of Apple headphones was currently in custody in a second-level conference room. Officers contacted the man, who identified himself with a California driver’s license. According to the man, he had entered the bookstore “”in a bad state of mind.”” He stated that he had plenty of money to buy the headphones but “”wasn’t thinking.”” He stated that he walked into the store, picked out the headphones, removed them from the packaging, and placed them in his shoe before attempting to exit the store. He told police he “”knew it was completely wrong.”” He also claimed that he was tired of paying for headphones and the last four pairs he had bought had all fallen apart. He was cited on charges of shoplifting and released on scene. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Shank you very much

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Cochise Residence Hall on Nov. 20 at 4:31 p.m. in reference to a report of verbal threats made against a resident. Upon arrival, officers met with a student who told them that he and his roommate had been engaged in a verbal argument on Nov. 17. The argument occurred due to multiple personal differences. During the exchange of words, the man’s roommate told him “”I’ll shank you.”” The man told police that he disregarded the comment at the time and did not feel threatened by it, but was advised by his father to report the incident to police. Officers contacted the man’s roommate and were advised that he had already requested a room transfer and was in the process of moving out. He further informed police that he would be completely relocated by midnight and claimed that as long as he did not live in the same room as the man he threatened, there would be no further conflict.

Woman sleeps well after evening drinks

UAPD officers responded to the Posada San Pedro Residence Hall on Nov. 20 at 9:21 p.m. in reference to an unconscious female. When officers arrived, Tucson Fire Department emergency medical personnel were already on scene. TFD personnel were unable to wake the woman. According to her friends, she had come from the Coronado Residence Hall where she had been drinking. TFD transported the woman to University Medical Center where she was treated for extreme intoxication. She was cited on charges of minor with spirituous liquor in the body and the incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Out-of-date license plate leads to multiple citations

UAPD officers were on patrol in the area of Speedway Boulevard and Mountain Avenue on Nov. 20 at 6:45 a.m. when they observed a red Buick displaying expired registration on a Washington State license plate. According to police, the vehicle registration had expired in January of this year. Officers initiated a traffic stop near Mountain Avenue and Mabel Street and made contact with the driver. He identified himself with an Arizona state identification card and admitted that his license was currently suspended. He also admitted that he had no insurance for the vehicle. Police cited the man on charges of driving on a suspended license, displaying expired out of state registration, and failure to provide proof of financial responsibility. His vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound and he was released on the scene.