Police Beat

Bicycle rims: a new fashion statement?

A man was arrested for warrants and drug charges March 1 at 9:56 a.m.

A police aide saw a man near the Mathematics building carrying two bicycle rims and looking at bicycles on the racks. The aide tried to stop him, but the man went towards the UA Mall. The aide saw the man again near Fifth Street and Park Avenue. An officer made contact with the man on Fourth Street and Euclid Avenue.

The man told the officer that he got the bike rims from his brother who lives on Seventh Street. The officer then asked the man why he was on campus looking at bicycles on the racks. The man said he was on campus looking at girls, and denied stealing the bike rims.

The police aide checked the bike racks near the Mathematics building and did not find any bicycles that were missing tires that matched those the man had.

A records check of the man showed he had four outstanding warrants from Tucson Police Department and one from the Pima County Sheriff’s Office. The man was handcuffed after the warrants were confirmed. Police searched the man and found a glass crack pipe inside of the man’s backpack.

The man was transported to the Pima County Jail where he was charged with drug paraphernalia and booked for his warrants for possession of prescription drugs, possession of marijuana, possession of paraphernalia, and false reporting to law enforcement.

One word: lockbox

Two men were charged with drug and alcohol charges March 1 at 2:05 a.m.

Police responded to Coronado Residence Hall in reference to marijuana in one of the rooms. When they arrived they immediately detected the odor of marijuana coming from one of the doors. An officer knocked on the door and a man answered. He told the officer he could enter the room. Inside the room was another man.

Inside of the room, police noticed approximately four bottles of hard alcohol. One of the men said that the bottles belonged to both men. The man also said that he knew he was illegally possessing alcohol. The man declined to answer any other questions from the officer. The other man said he would answer questions from the officers.

The man told police that at approximately 1:15 a.m. he and the other man smoked a bowl of marijuana together in their room. The man showed police a lockbox under his bed that contained .1 grams of marijuana, one glass pipe with resin, rolling papers and a grinder. All of the items were confiscated and placed into evidence.

The man who spoke to officers was cited and released for possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia. The man who would not answer questions was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol. Both men were referred to the Dean of Students Office.

The Resident Assistant on-duty was notified about the alcohol in the room. The RA made them empty and throw away the bottles.

They didn’t want to be interviewed…

A man was cited and released for possession of marijuana on March 1 at 12:30 a.m.

While driving westbound on east Sixth Street, an officer saw two people running from the front doors of the Circle K. They were wearing baggy sweatshirts and had their hoods up with their hands in their pockets. The officer noted that there was a lot of commotion inside of the store.

The officer turned on his overhead lights. When the two people saw him, they shifted the direction they were going towards National Championship Drive.

The officer tried to stop the two people, but they continued to run faster. The officer pulled into a parking lot behind Arizona Stadium, and the two people split up. The officer pursued one man, yelling, “”Police, Stop”” at him. The man did not stop. The officer chased the man on Cherry Avenue underneath Arizona Stadium. A Tucson

Police Department unit followed the officer and had gotten in front of the man so he had nowhere to run. He slowed down and stopped on the side walk.

The man was handcuffed and detained.

A TPD officer said he had tried to conduct a field interview with the two people behind the Circle K and when they saw him they had taken off running. The TPD officer said he wanted to talk to them about the strong odor of marijuana coming from the area.

Officers set up quads around the area in attempt to locate the other individual, but he was not found.

The man who was caught was taken back to the Circle K area. The cashier said that nothing out of the ordinary had happened in the store. Another officer searched the man they had caught. He noticed there was an odd shaped object in the man’s jacket. The officer reached into the man’s pocket and found a pair of brass knuckles and a baggie containing marijuana. The marijuana was seized. The man was cited and released for possession of marijuana. He was also referred to the Dean of Student’s Office.