Exercise ‘Revolution’ stomps across campus

Claire C. Laurence/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

DDR Cats play in Wilburs underground.
    Claire C. Laurence/ Arizona Daily Wildcat DDR Cats play in Wilbur’s underground.

Dance, Dance

A pair of video games in the Student Union Memorial Center is changing the way some UA students balance exercise, competition and fun.

“”Dance Dance Revolution”” and “”Into the Groove 2″”, two video games controlled by the players using their feet to “”dance”” to a techno beat, have become the most popular video games played in Wilbur’s Underground, said Christopher Darling, a sophomore majoring in psychology and philosophy.

“”This game is fun because it is more interactive and a little different,”” said Anthony Satriano, a junior majoring in philosophy and psychology, who is ranked as one of the top players in the country by www.groovestats.com. “”It’s not just eye-hand coordination anymore, it’s eye-foot (coordination), and you can really work up a sweat.””

The game also let’s players know how many calories they have burned, said David McClelland, a music education junior.

“”It is something that is unique; you don’t just push buttons to play, you actually have to physically move your body,”” McClelland said.

Players score accuracy points by stomping the pink and blue buttons with their feet for the various difficulty levels of the game. As the levels get harder, the arrows go faster and more complicated “”dance”” moves are needed to stay in the game.

Darling said “”In the Groove 2″” has taken over “”DDR”” as the most popular dance game with students in the student union.

“”`In the Groove 2ï is more challenging, and the machine is newer,”” Darling said. “”People play it more because the music is better, and you get more songs for your money.””

For 50 cents, students can dance to two songs on the DDR machine or three songs on In the Groove 2.

Darling said the competition between other players is another fun aspect of the games.

The games room in Wilbur’s Underground hosts tournaments every Friday where students compete for gift certificates and other prizes for $3.

“”There are tournaments all the time around the nation,”” Satriano said. “”Generally, I don’t play too much in the student union because, although I’m friends with some of the players, the competition isn’t too tough.””

Jim Eiche, a computer science sophomore, said Satriano is one of the best players in the country.

“”(Satriano) generally comes down here and wins them even with a handicap,”” Eiche said. “”Nobody can beat him, he’s pretty crazy at it.””

Players can save their scores on the video game by using a USB flash drive that can be inserted into a slot on the front of the machines.

“”It’s just really fun,”” Eiche said. “”But it is also our daily workout.””