Police Beat 3/11/21: Frats just wanna have fun

Courtesy UAPD

University of Arizona Police Department officers on the UA campus. 

These past two weeks brought more than their fair share of problems for the fraternity men of Greek Row, along with a creepy Zoom incident that’ll make you glad we’re finally getting back to some in-person classes. 

Don’t forget to listen to the new news podcast, Wildcat Weekly Recap, to catch the rest of the story on the unfortunate day for a handful of the fraternity houses on Greek row!

A Series of Unfortunate Events… For Greek Row

According to a police report, a University of Arizona Police Department officer was driving down First Street, or Greek Row, on Feb. 20, when he noticed a “large social gathering” occurring at the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity house. 

He drove around to the parking lot behind the house where he observed 30-40 people from the parking lot that were drinking outside and playing beer games while loud music played. Members of the house saw the officer’s car and yelled for everyone to get inside and get into rooms, which is when the officer proceeded to make contact with the executives at the front of the house. 

The officer asked a member watching the officer from the window to have the president come speak with him. The president and risk manager both came out and spoke with the UAPD officer, who stated they were both very cooperative as they revealed there were about 50 individuals inside and it looked to be so large of a gathering because it was taking place outdoors. 

The officer said it appeared they were having a party and that a Dean of Students code of conduct referral would be submitted for TKE, along with photographic evidence another officer had gotten. 

Check out the Wildcat Weekly Recap news podcast from Friday, March 6, for the rest of the story.

Wild Pledge Chase

According to a police report, on the night of Feb. 10, a UAPD officer was conducting a check of Arizona Stadium when he noticed three males inside of the stadium by the ZonaZoo concourse. 

Before he could even identify himself, the males began running and the officer yelled for them to stop. As he began to chase the males, he advised dispatch that he needed more units and then continued to chase them throughout most of the stadium. 

He went through one of the tunnels to cut them off when two of them finally stopped, but one continued running. The one that was still running continued toward a locked loading dock gate, where the officer yelled out to stop and that there was no way out. Another police officer was able to detain him. 

All of the units then gathered at the northwest corner of the stadium where 20 males were, all identifying themselves as members of the Sigma Chi fraternity. Interviews were conducted with all males, where the officers discovered they were pledges for the fraternity that were reading their pledge material, some at the Student Union Memorial Center, but others had gone to the stadium because they said the pledge material was “adventurous reading.” 

They also said they were planning to make a stop at Circle K for some snacks. They insisted this had nothing to do with Sigma Chi at all. 

Five of the males were arrested for trespassing third degree with Dean of Student code of conduct violations completed. A Dean of Students FYI was also completed for Sigma Chi. 

Zoom Scaries 

According to a police report, on Feb. 18, a student called UAPD to report an incident that occurred during one of his Zoom classes earlier that day. The student reported logging onto his Zoom class at 9:25 a.m. and very quickly seeing another user in the class with his same profile photo and name. 

The student added that he was not logged in on any other devices, meaning someone had created a duplicate account or changed their profile name and photo to match his. 

The student logged off the class about 15 minutes before the class was supposed to end and then logged back on, where he saw that the copycat profile was still logged in. 

Shortly after he logged back on he received a message from the user saying, “Now there’s two of us.” He did not respond to the message and did not receive another one before the class ended. 

The student stated that he called UAPD because he is concerned the account will share harmful or inappropriate content while impersonating him. He stated he does not want to participate in further investigation because no real harm was done, but wanted the police to be aware of the situation. The student said he will be on the lookout for future suspicious activity. 

Follow Maggie Rockwell on Twitter