ASUA Notebook 11/30/22: Senators discuss current and future campus events

Jasmine Ma
Want an inside look at the University of Arizona’s student government? Read the Daily Wildcat’s Associated Students of the University of Arizona notebooks, which recap the ASUA Senate’s weekly meetings.

Throughout their Nov. 30 meeting, the Associated Students of the University of Arizona discussed various events that happened recently on campus as well as some upcoming events, like the ASUA Spring 2023 Club Fair which will take place next semester as well as club award nominations.

Reproductive Health and Women’s bodies

The Reproductive Health and Safety fair happened on Nov. 30 and students were provided STI tests and free swag. SlutWalk also had an event the same day at 6 p.m. The goal of SlutWalk was to empower women’s bodies, and the Women and Gender Resources Center’s website offers more information on this event, as well as other events and resources. 

Campus Closet updates

Campus Closet, the university’s clothing donation center, expressed a desire to be recognized as distinct from Campus Pantry, the UA’s food donation center. Both services have historically been lumped together, but the Closet has grown so much over the last year that it will begin to act independently. They want clothing drives associated with each college and are requesting one-time volunteers for special events such as big clothing drives, or other occasions where they need extra help.

Students for Sustainability Events

Students for Sustainability hosts a lot of events including the Market on the Move. This event happened on Dec. 2 and provided produce at a discounted price on campus. All of the proceeds went to the Campus Pantry.

SFS plans to have a rummage sale, yoga night, movie night, open mic night and an environmental summit. According to the Arizona Institute for Resilient Environments & Societies, at this summit they invite key leaders to talk about “the variety of environmental initiatives being taken on campus and around Tucson.”

Holiday Toy Drive

A way to help out the children in our community is through the Toy Drive. Dec. 7 is the last day to donate a toy. The box for donations is in the ASUA office, in the Student Union on the third floor.

Christmas time is just around the corner, and many festivities are scheduled to happen. The annual Tucson Christmas parade is coming up on Dec. 17 at 6:30 p.m. The ASUA float at the event will have a theme that is centered around the UA.

Meal Plans Discussion

The new diversified student meal plan committee begins meeting on Dec. 15 to resume discussion of mandatory meal plans for next spring. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter