Arizona sand volleyball headed to NCAA Beach Volleyball Championships

Darien Bakas
Arizona sand volleyball athlete Madison Witt (23) sets up a spike for her teammate with a dig during a game against California State Northridge on Saturday, March 26.

The Arizona sand volleyball team is headed to the NCAA Beach Volleyball Championships later this week after finishing runner-up at the Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championships this weekend.

The Wildcats were selected as the No. 6 seed in the eight-team tournament, which takes place in Gulf Shores, Alabama, from May 6–8.

Arizona will face No. 3 seed Pepperdine University in the opening match. The Wildcats lost to Pepperdine earlier in the season in Malibu, California.

If the UA is to move on, it could face No. 2 seed USC in the next round. USC faces No. 7 seed Georgia State University in its opening match.

See the entire bracket here. 

The Trojans defeated Arizona in the Pac-12 Championships finals over the weekend by winning three pair matches to take the conference crown.

Arizona defeated Washington and UCLA to reach the final.

On the other side of the NCAA Beach Volleyball Championships bracket, No. 1 seed Florida State University will face No. 8 seed Stetson University, while No. 4 seed UCLA takes on No. 5 seed University of Hawaii at Manoa.

All tournament matches will be televised nationally on TruTV on Fridayand Saturday, according to a press release. The championship match will air on TBS Sunday at 11 a.m. 

Follow Ezra Amacher on Twitter.