Police Beat

An officer checked on a student after her father reported her being abused by her boyfriend at 9:44 a.m. April 1.

An officer was dispatched to Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., after a man said his daughter gets into fistfights with her boyfriend.

He wanted the University of Arizona Police Department to document and be aware of the situation.

The officer spoke with the student, who said her boyfriend does not abuse her. She said her relationship with her father has been tenuous, adding that she does not rely on him for any financial support.

The student said the Tucson Police Department had responded to a verbal altercation between her boyfriend and herself at their previous, off-campus residence. She said she was required to talk to the Dean of Students Office about the incident.

The officer did not see any signs of injury or abuse while talking to the student.

The officer spoke with the boyfriend, who said he was not in an abusive relationship with his girlfriend and did not know why her father would claim such a relationship exists.

The officer left the father a message informing him his daughter claimed to be OK.

An H-VAC motor burned up in Room 130 of the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center, causing the evacuation of the ILC and the UA Main Library for approximately an hour on the evening of April 1.

At 7:19 p.m., an officer responded to the Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., on a report of fire alarms activated. Once there, he tracked smoke appearing to come from the ceiling of Room 130.

Additional UAPD personnel responded to assist. The Tucson Fire Department arrived and searched for the source of the smoke while the surrounding buildings were evacuated.

The source of the smoke was an H-VAC motor/air-sending unit that lost two bearings, causing the machine to seize and its drive belt to burn.

TFD purged the room of smoke with several fans.

No other damage was discovered.

An officer encountered a man seen in possession of a knife on his belt at Hopi Residence Hall, 1440 E. Fourth St., at 4:41 p.m. March 31.

At approximately 4:39 p.m., a community service officer observed a man riding a skateboard with a knife on his hip in the area of 1440 E. Fourth St. The officer watched the man as other officers arrived.

As they did so, the community service officer told them the man had met with a woman and began walking northbound.

A UAPD officer found the pair just north of 1440 E. Fourth St. The man was walking away from the officer, and the officer could see a knife sheath on his right hip.

The officer asked the man to stop where he was and place his skateboard on the ground; the man complied. The officer told the man that he saw a knife on his hip and instructed him not to touch it.

The man put his hands on his head, and the officer removed a black knife from the sheath. The knife was approximately 10 inches long with a 5-inch blade.

The man said he was on campus to meet his girlfriend, and that he uses the knife for his job. He said he was unaware of the no-weapons-on-campus rules and advised the officer that he could keep the knife.

The officer told the man he could escort him off campus and the man could keep the knife, or he would place it into safekeeping.

The man said he did not want the knife back because it “”only cost five bucks,”” according to reports.

The man was released at the scene.