A History of Forgotten Things is far from forgettable

Released on August 10, A History of Forgotten Things is the first album by singer/songwriter Jed Whedon. It’s made an impressive splash and is presently in the iTunes’ top 100 album downloads. The album has surpassed Miranda Lambert’s Revolution and Taylor Swift’s Fearless in current popularity.

So what’s all the hype about? This may be Jed’s first CD, but it isn’t his debut in the industry. Jed is also a successful screenwriter à la Fox’s thrilling series “”Dollhouse”” and the Emmy award-winning film “”Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog.”” What’s more, Jed has written music featured in videogames, web shows and TV series.

Now, in “”A History of Forgotten Things,”” Jed finally has a chance to create something completely independent and personal — and he doesn’t disappoint. The album could best be classified as a refreshing mix of alternative, indie rock and ambient styles. If I had to compare, I would say that the sound lies somewhere between the smooth beats of Sherwood, the harmonized choruses of The Shins and the twinkling rifts of Owl City.

The footnotes and histories found in the album’s pamphlet make it apparent that Jed Whedon is a writer. But when examining his heartfelt lyrics and overarching themes, Jed’s talent really shines through. Jed was recently interviewed  by his brother, Joss, for the online fansite “”Whedonesque””. (The website is dedicated to Joss Whedon, who is also a prolific screenwriter and the director of the up and coming movie “”The Avengers””.) In the interview, Jed discussed the album’s title and his motivation. He said that: (The theme is) nostalgia, I guess. The title comes from a few things — the terrifying feeling that we are forgetting our life as it rolls along … as well as the sensation that history can give you. A feeling that is indescribable. That feeling of connection through the ages. It is related to nostalgia.””

These themes are brilliantly captured by Jed’s songs. Track six is a brief but captivating piece entitled “”Ancestors,”” which, in two verses, contrasts the modern world and  ancient man. In the first verse, Jed writes, “”The fire dances with our ancestors the stars/See how they glow”” whereas in the second, he says, “”We’re leaving orbit soon/OMS thrusters full, slingshot around the moon.”” Backed with haunting resonance and a distorted melody, the song, like the  whole album,  is truly poetic and invites the listener into a contemplative state.