Police Beat

Lady without a license

University of Arizona Police Department officers observed a red Pontiac Sunfire that appeared to be exceeding the posted speed limit on June 29 at 10:40 a.m.

The officers confirmed the vehicle’s speed at 53 mph using LIDAR, well above the posted 35 mph speed limit on Speedway Boulevard. After initiating a traffic stop, the officers made contact with the driver, who identified herself with an Arizona State identification card.

A records check revealed that the driver was never issued an Arizona Driver’s License.

The driver was cited on charges of speeding, operating a motor vehicle without a driver’s license and failure to provide proof of insurance. The vehicle was impounded and the woman was released on scene.

Another lady without a license

UAPD officers initiated a traffic stop on a black Nissan sedan on June 27 at 6:43 p.m.

A random Motor Vehicle Department records check showed that the vehicle’s registration was suspended for a failure to provide proof of financial responsibility. Officers made contact with the driver, who identified herself with an Arizona State ID card.

She claimed that the vehicle belonged to her niece, who was occupying the passenger seat of the vehicle. The woman’s niece claimed that she knew that the vehicle’s plates were suspended and told officers that she did not have insurance on the vehicle because it had recently broken down.

A records check on the driver revealed a suspended driver’s license and two outstanding warrants for driving on a suspended driver’s license. A records check on the passenger revealed an outstanding warrant from the Pima County Sheriff’s Office for issuing a bad check.

Both women were placed into handcuffs and transported to Pima County Jail. The passenger was booked into PCJ for her confirmed warrant. The driver was booked into PCJ for her two outstanding warrants and driving on a suspended license. She was additionally cited on charges of failing to provide proof of insurance and displaying plates that were suspended for failure to provide proof of financial responsibility.

The vehicle was impounded and the plates were removed.

Licensed lady, fake plates

UAPD officers initiated a traffic stop on a 2001 Toyota pickup truck on North Euclid Avenue on June 26 at 1:45 p.m.

The driver provided an Arizona Driver’s License and an Arizona Vehicle Registration card. A random registration check showed the vehicle’s registration to be suspended for failure to provide proof of financial responsibility.

A check of the Vehicle Identification Number on the Toyota revealed that the license plate on the truck was fictitious and actually belonged to a 1990 Toyota pickup truck, which also belonged to the driver. A records check of the driver showed that she had two outstanding Tucson Police Department warrants issued under a different last name.

TPD was contacted and arrived on scene to serve the warrants to the driver. The driver claimed that she knowingly removed the license plate from her 1990 Toyota and placed them on her 2001 Toyota after reporting the plates from her 2001 Toyota stolen to TPD on June 24.

UAPD arrested the driver on charges of displaying fictitious plates and released her to the custody of TPD officers. After numerous calls by the driver to request friends or acquaintances to retrieve the vehicle went unanswered, the 2001 Toyota was towed at the owner’s expense.

Cyclist claims speed was unknown, cited

A UAPD officer was monitoring traffic on Speedway from Mountain Avenue when he heard, then saw a motorcycle traveling at a high rate of speed on June 26 at 10:33 p.m.

The officer used LIDAR to confirm the motorcycle’s speed at 85 mph, well above the 35 mph posted speed limit.

The officer pulled out behind the rider and activated his emergency lights, but the rider failed to yield. The officer then activated his emergency siren three times before the rider looked back and noticed the officer’s lights and finally pulled into a bus lane just east of Cherry Avenue.

The officer made contact with the rider, who told the officer, “”I have only lived here for eight months; I don’t know the speed limit…I was going about 40…my speedometer is broken.””

The rider was cited on charges of speeding, not having registration in the vehicle and violation of a license restriction for failure to wear corrective lenses while operating a motor vehicle.

He was released at the scene.