UA track duo picks up Pac-12 honor

Arizona’s Stephen Sambu and Alyssa Hasslen were named the Pac-12 Conference Athletes of the Week in track and field, the conference announced Tuesday.

This is the second time this season that Sambu has earned the honor and third time in his career.

A 2011 NCAA Outdoor All–American, Sambu’s latest triumph was at the Mt. SAC Relays last weekend when he won the men’s 10K invitational with the top time in the country this season and the second best in the world. Sambu holds several accolades, including a 2011 Pac-10 Outdoor Championship in the 10,000-meter run and a school record in the 5,000-meter race of 13:47:39.

Hasslen was awarded the Women’s Track Athlete of the Week after taking the No. 1 collegiate mark and the 13th best throw in NCAA history in shot put at the Mt. SAC Invitational. The throw dropped at 18.35 meters, meeting the Olympic “A” Standard. This is Hasslen’s first time being recognized by the conference.

The women’s team broke the top 10 in the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches’ Association poll climbing 5 spots to No. 8 while the men moved up to No.13. Collectively, Arizona currently holds 12 top-10 national marks in several events including distance, high jump, 400-meter hurdles, and 4×400 relay and shot put.

The Wildcats return to their home track on Saturday night to host the Double Dual meet against ASU and NAU.