Soccer struggles, falters in Provo

BYU’s women’s soccer team showed Arizona (0-4) why it is ranked No. 21 in the country yesterday.

The Cougars (4-1-1) outscored the Wildcats 2-0 in Provo, Utah, extending Arizona’s losing streak to four games.

The first goal came off a deflection in the 24th minute and the second came with one minute left in the first half.

“This is the first game of the year that we really just didn’t play very well,” said head coach Lisa Oyen. “We obviously didn’t get the results we were looking for.”

Arizona looked to fix some of its offensive issues with little tweaks team members worked on during the practices in the week leading up to their Labor Day showdown with the Cougars, but their problems continued.

The Wildcats have yet to score a goal in four games this season.

The coaching staff was looking for smarter shots from the strikers and will continue to look for answers. The team also believes that it is “right there” and players do not need to reinvent the wheel.

It comes down to more tweaks, Oyen said.

“I’m not real satisfied with the way we played, but knowing that we can play better is a positive,” said Oyen said. “Ashley (Jett) did have a great game; Gabby (Lindeman) had a great game stepping up since we didn’t have Kirstyn Magyar.”

Oyen went on to praise a few more individual performances but said as a team, the Wildcats just did not play well enough.

The Wildcats will be back on the pitch Friday at 2 p.m. as they compete in the Sun Devil Desert Classic and face off against Missouri.