Straylight Run ready to rock Club Congress

Straylight Run was originally signed to hardcore punk label, Victory Records, but recently switched to Universal Records. Comprised of former Taking Back Sunday members, the band will play Club Congress tomorrow at 6 p.m.

Straylight Run began as an idea to have a band with as few boundaries as possible. Now, it seems as if the indie band has reached that goal.

In 2003, singer and guitarist John Nolan and bassist Shaun Cooper left Taking Back Sunday in search of a group that would have different musical intentions.

Instead of a hardcore rock band, they wanted to focus on experimenting with percussions, vocals and electronics in order to create undefined music.

“”We all were looking forward to a lack of restrictions,”” drummer Will Noon said. “”This band gave us all a chance to do things a little differently than we had done in the past.””

Noon, along with Nolan’s sister, keyboardist and singer Michelle DaRosa, were the final pieces to Straylight Run.

The band was an instant success, headlining sold-out shows before its first album was even released.

Straylight Run debuted its self-titled album in 2004 through Victory Records, which Nolan and Cooper were still under contract with.

Straylight Run made Billboard’s Top 100 Albums list and sold more than 11,000 records in its first week out.

“”When our first show sold out it was really surprising and overwhelming,”” Noon said.

Although Straylight Run contributes a lot of its initial success to promotions from Victory Records, the members decided to sign with Universal/Republic Records in 2007.

“”Victory tended to market bands to certain audiences that we felt weren’t really appropriate channels for us,”” Noon said.

Straylight Run released its latest album, The Needles the Space, with Universal in June. The band aimed for an album that couldn’t fit into the radio record genre.

“”We wanted to let the songs be the songs instead of focusing on having big catchy choruses,”” Noon said.

The Needles the Space also gives way to a greater role taken by DaRosa, who has more vocals and did more writing than on the band’s past records.

“”The level of experience that Michelle has gained has been tremendous,”” Noon said. “”It was only natural for her to have more of a role on the album.””

The band as a whole has also grown in the past four years with three albums and countless shows. Now the members of Straylight Run are looking toward the future.

“”We are focusing on defining who we are and creating music that will stand the test of time,”” Noon said.

Straylight Run will make a stop tomorrow at Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St., with The Color Fred, Dear and the Headlights and Cassino. The all-ages show begins at 6 p.m., and tickets are $14.