Fashion Forward: Wrapping up for winter

Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Fashionable clothing for winter.
    Lisa Beth Earle
    Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Fashionable clothing for winter.

We are in the midst of the winter fashion season and there are many items that UA students trump others when it comes to the essentials for their wardrobe. Take for example dance sophomores Shaun Repetto and Katie Halajian. Both show an excellent sense of style and they know what they should be wearing this season. That is why Repetto and Halajian are Fashion Forward.

• The great Arizona weather allows more versatile pieces to be worn because, although it’s winter, it can sometimes feel like the beginning of summer! Girls need a top that can be worn with multiple combinations so you can keep your wardrobe looking fresh. Halajian is sporting a jersey black turtleneck that can easily be dressed up or dressed down depending on the occasion. The jersey material is a lot more breathable so it can be worn during the day or late at night. You can dress it down by wearing some skinny jeans and heels — great for a party — or change it up with a skirt, like Halajian, and be ready for a date.

• High-waisted skirts are one of the most popular pieces to have this winter season. Like the turtleneck, it can be dressed down by simply wearing a tank top or tunic tucked into the skirt. Halajian’s skirt is dressier, great for a night on the town. It is easy to find a cheap, good quality skirt at any of your favorite stores. The skirt is easy to pair with any top, so go for a busier skirt with a simple solid color shirt. There are many options and styles for the skirt, all of which can be found at Forever 21, Urban Outfitters and H&M.

• Heels are an obvious necessity for any girl’s wardrobe, but finding a sensible, cheap, good quality heel is a different story. Halajian is wearing a black snakeskin heel she found on sale at DSW. It is simple, but has enough character that it does not need much dressing up to make a statement. DSW.com has an enormous variety of heels and other shoes that can work with anyone’s budget.

• Good quality jewelry is also hard to come by. You can either buy cheap jewelry, expecting it to break, or expensive jewelry, which usually ends up breaking anyway. Forever 21’s jewelry section is enormous, and if you are looking to not spend too much on a new necklace or earrings, this is the place to go. Urban Outfitters’ sale section online is another great place to find inexpensive jewelry, but does not tend to be the best quality. Halajian is wearing some bangles, which can literally be worn with anything, and usually last for a good amount of time. Silver and gold bangles can be easily added to any outfit to give it that extra edge.

• Flannel is one of the many styles that both guys and girls can wear. This season has been all about different colors, and Repetto’s wear proves that earth-toned flannel can go with anything. It is an easy shirt to wear whether you are going to class or going out to dinner. Flannel is versatile because it can be dressed up with a nice pair of jeans or dressed down with some cut-off jean shorts. Many stores have a huge amount of flannel, but some suggestions are American Eagle, Urban Outfitters and Tilly’s, which all have an awesome range of different colored shirts at great prices. With the season nearing its end, these flannel shirts are sure to be on sale!

• Every guy should have a great bag for school or for traveling. Messenger bags can be found literally anywhere, but you want to make sure you find a quality bag. I have found that the more durable the bag, the less noticeable the wear and tear is from bringing it everywhere. Repetto’s bag is a Ben Sherman canvas bag with a leather flap. The bag was on sale, which anyone can appreciate, at $45 when it was originally $89. It can be found online at bensherman.com or at Nordstrom.com.

• A good pair of jeans is something that everyone should spend a little extra money on. A darker wash has been the most popular this season. Jeans are obviously a necessity to own, but finding a good pair can be hard. I have always had the best luck with Levi jeans, which are great because they come in such a varying style and color that it is extremely easy to find a good pair that fits you. Levi’s are available at Urban Outfitters and also at Levi.com, which is currently having a sale for 30 percent off all of their latest pairs of jeans, plus free shipping on all orders. With all of us trying to find the most bang for our buck, why not splurge now while this great deal is still in effect? My recommendation, since the style lately is slim jeans, is to try Levi 511 Skinny Jeans or Levi 514 Slim Straight Jeans.

• An accessory that every guy should have is a good hat. My recommendation is Forever 21’s men’s section at either Tucson Mall or Park Place Mall. They have a great selection of hats that can literally go with anything. Forever 21 is awesome for their cheap prices and varying sizes and styles of hats they have. Lately, they have had fedora-style hats, as well as “”newsie”” style hats. Check online for more styles and colors, because hats are the perfect accessories for guys this season.