Three key stats from Arizona MBB’s victory over Wright State

Ryan Wohl

(#35) Arizona center Christian Koloko in Friday’s game against Wright State University on March 18.

1. Christian Koloko five blocks 

Arizona’s starting center Christian Koloko has been one of the best rim protectors in the country throughout the season, and he played like that in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Koloko was matched up with Wright State University’s Grant Basile for most of the game. Basile led the Raiders in shot attempts with 20. Koloko was able to hold Basile to 8-20 from the field, blocking him multiple times leading to fast breaks on the other end. Arizona was able to take advantage of these transition chances with 11 fast break points.

2. 55% shooting from the field (33-60, 11-20 3Pt) 

The Wildcats were able to create many open looks on the offensive end in their first-round game. Head coach Tommy Lloyd was able to get contributions from everyone in this matchup as 15 of their 87 points came from the bench. Bennedict Mathurin led the Wildcats in scoring with 18. Four other Wildcats also posted double-digits: Koloko 17 points, Dalen Terry 16 points, Azuolas Tubelis 13 points and Pelle Larsson 11 points. The Wildcats also looked good from the free throw line going 10-12 for 83.3%, which has been their Achilles heel all season and could be the only thing to hold them back from making a deep run this March. 

RELATED: No.1 seed Arizona MBB advances to the round of 32 after a 17 point victory against Wright State

3. 10 offensive rebounds 

The Wildcats did not miss many shots in this game but when they did, there was a good chance they would get the offensive board. Arizona’s height advantage was apparent in this area as Wright State’s tallest player was Basile at 6-foot-9. Koloko and Terry were able to take advantage of this as they combined to give Arizona seven extra possessions. The Wildcats made sure to come through in these situations as they had 11second chance points. Arizona’s total advantage on the glass was 36-18. Koloko had a game-high 13 total rebounds. 

Follow CJ Lala on Twitter