First female UA president, Hart honored for her service

Briana Sanchez
Briana Sanchez / Arizona Daily Wildcat President Ann Hart speaks at the 16th annual Women’s Studies Advisory Council on November 19, 2012 at the women’s plaza.

In recognition of her service as the university’s first female president, Ann Weaver Hart was honored Monday with an award and an engraving of her name in the Women’s Plaza of Honor.

Sponsors, UA faculty, students and Tucson community members met at the plaza for the 16th annual Women Who Lead reception.

The Women’s Studies Advisory Council gave attendees gift bags, and also offered an open bar and food table at the event.

“I’m tremendously honored to be here,” Hart said. “I’ve been the first woman president in other positions, so for me it’s ‘you’re the president,’ and you just move in and get your work done.
“I am very, very proud to be here at the University of Arizona. It’s a wonderful team to join and a great honor to be here.”

Her husband, Randy Hart, said he was also excited for his wife to receive the honor at the event.
“I have been proud of Ann ever since we met,” Randy Hart said. “It’s been a dream of ours to come to a place like Arizona. For her to be able to be considered alone is an honor.”

The annual reception honors distinguished women in the community, said Ginny Healy, senior director of development for the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences.

Rick Myers — chair of the Arizona Board of Regents, who was declared the Man of the Year by the Tucson Chamber of Commerce — and Monica J. Casper, newly appointed head of the Department of Gender and Women’s Studies, spoke at the event.

There were 43 sponsors for the event, including Cox Communications, Rayth
eon, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona, the Center of Excellence in Women’s Health and Ventana Medical Systems, Inc.

The Women’s Studies Advisory Council hosted the event and the council’s president, Betsey Bowling, worked to achieve the number of sponsors that the event had.

“People like to be involved with the university and try to support it in different ways,” Bowling said. “The university is a huge economic contributor to the community; people know that. People want to support the university and support education.”

Hart described the experiences that brought her to this point in her life, saying how important family and friends are to accomplish goals, gain support and encourage each other.

Hart emphasized that people should not assume others do not have dreams and aspirations, no matter what position they hold. People should always give people the experiences they need to grow, she said.

“Each life,” she said, “is its own story and carries an inspiration for all of us.”