Softball dominates Fall Round Robin

Kimberly Cain
Kimberly Cain/ The Daily Wildcat Hallie Wilson, english and journalism junior, slides into home at the game against Scottsdale on Sunday.

Arizona softball rolled over Scottsdale Community College 12-0 on Sunday to complete the Fall Round Robin.

The Wildcats went 3-0 on the weekend, also defeating Eastern Arizona 15-0 and Fort Lewis 10-0, each game ending after five innings via the mercy rule.

On Sunday, the Fighting Artichokes held Arizona early. The Wildcats did not score until the bottom of the second inning, when sophomore outfielder Courtney Rodriguez drove pitcher Taylor Yazzie’s pitch deep into right field, earning two runs. Arizona scored three more runs in the inning to go up 5-0.

Senior pitcher Kenzie Fowler gave up the only hit of the Scottsdale game in the last fall home start of her Wildcat career. She pitched four innings before sophomore teammate Nancy Bowling relieved her to finish the game.

“It felt really good to be back out there. It’s kind of weird thinking that this is my last fall game,” Fowler said. “I want to go out feeling my best and giving it my all. I want to be able to contribute. … Last year I sat out so I’m ready to get out there.”

The Wildcats recorded 14 hits on Sunday, three of which resulted in home runs. Sophomore infielder Lauren Young slammed a solo homer deep into left field in the third inning, and senior utility player Kelsey Rodriguez and junior catcher Chelsea Goodacre hit back-to-back home runs in the fourth inning. Kelsey Rodriguez’s was good for three runs.

Junior outfielder Cynthia Pelayo, junior utility player Hallie Wilson and freshman third baseman Katiyana Mauga also recorded home runs over the weekend. Mauga had two home runs Saturday, one in each game.

Arizona ended the game with zero strikeouts on 27 at-bats, and only struck out twice on the weekend against Eastern Arizona. The Wildcats saw the plate a total of 74 times over 16 innings.

“This helps us assess what we need to work on the rest of the fall and helps us see our strong parts and our weaknesses, and from there we can address them,” Kelsey Rodriguez said.

While Arizona had a nearly flawless weekend, head coach Mike Candrea said the team needs to focus on the little things before the spring season begins.

“We need to keep our pedal to the metal and not get complacent,” Candrea said. “We need to keep working hard every day, getting better.”

Arizona has another opportunity to tune up for the spring season with the alumni game on Nov. 10 at Hillenbrand Stadium. The Wildcats start the hunt for their ninth NCAA Championship with a game against Southern Mississippi on Feb. 7.

Candrea said he is very excited about the group of players he has this year, and expects their impressive fall performance to carry over into February.

“Everyone does the same thing pretty much around the country but it’s the team that does it the best that ends up playing the last game of the season,” Candrea said. “Our goal is to be the best at what we do.”

— Follow Nicole Cousins @cousinnicole