Police beat: July 31

An alarming note

On July 22 at approximately 1:35 p.m., officers from the University of Arizona Police Department received a report from a male student who said he believed his ex-girlfriend was suicidal.

The man reported that the woman had left him two notes, one of which ended in “I can’t take this.” When he spoke to her over the phone, she also ended the conversation with the same statement, and would only tell him she was in a “tall building.”

She had also attached a $5,000 check issued to the man with her notes.

Police found the woman sitting on a couch in an undergraduate study area with an open 4-inch folding knife sitting adjacent to her leg.

She informed an officer that she was stressed from studies and personal matters, and just wanted to go back to her room. She also informed the officers she has been seeing a counselor for severe depression and did not trust police.

The police requested an acute crisis team and the woman agreed to be transported to a crisis response center.

Officers placed the knife and check into property for safekeeping, and kept the notes as evidence.

A messy combination

On July 19, UAPD officers were dispatched to Second Street Parking Garage at approximately 11 a.m. after receiving a report of suspicious activity.

An officer observed two men and one woman sitting behind cars on the first floor of the garage. Upon arrival, he saw the woman put something into her back pocket.

He then requested identification for all three people, and requested a wants and warrants check through communications, and found that the information of one of the men provided did not seem correct.

When asked to confirm his identification again, the man said it was correct, though he could not provide his social security number or address listed on his license.

The man then told the officer he was having a panic attack and agreed to let the officer look through his backpack to find his inhaler.

While searching, the officer found a pink bag with a glass pipe with burnt residue, and placed the man under arrest for possession of narcotic drug paraphernalia.

The man spoke with another officer and said he had lied to the first officer, because he was coming down from his high from meth and heroin he had used the night before.

He also told him he was scared because he is a sex offender, but was not yet registered and didn’t want to go to jail.

He provided police with his real name which revealed the man had six misdemeanor warrants from Tucson Police Department, and was a level 3 sex offender.

He was booked on six TPD warrants and charged with two counts of sex offender registration violations, for failing to register after his release from jail and to obtain state issued identification.