‘New Year, New You’ to promote healthy living on UA Mall

A new event on the UA campus will focus on healthy living and student engagement.

The first “New Year, New You” event will be taking place on the UA Mall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 23, with different organizations from campus and the community gathering to help inform students of what services are available. The focus of the event is on healthy living, but also on creating a good environment for students, according to some UA employees.

“First of all, it [New Year, New You] is going to be a lot fun for students,” said David Salafsky, director of the Health Promotion and Preventive Services and a main organizer of the event. “I think it is going to be a really big event. We are going to have a lot of departments and units from across campus, and really it is an opportunity to showcase all the programs, services and resources that are available for students.”

Salafsky said one of the ways Campus Health Service is going to make the event more engaging is through the use of an “event passport.” Students can get their passport stamped at six different booths, and they can then use the event photo booth to take photos and get hard copies.

“I think it is a great idea,” said Kendall Dunn, a freshman studying philosophy, politics, economics and law. “I have noticed especially since I got here that a lot of people think the idea of good, healthy eating is like a can of SpaghettiOs and I am one of those people where I pull out a box of spinach, and they are like, ‘What’s that?’”

Campus Recreation is only one of the campus organizations that will be out on the Mall for the event. The goal is to show all the different services that Campus Recreation has to offer, according to Michele Schwitzky, senior assistant director for marketing and outreach. There are plans to have a hockey goal at the event with the chance to win tickets to Arizona Wildcat hockey games.

The Student Health Advocacy Committee will also attend the event and will focus on mental and sexual health, according to Leena Patel, the director of SHAC and a public health senior. SHAC plans on having informational games as well.

“A lot of the stuff gets out to students during the fall semester but there is a lot of information to take in for students, and I think that has always been challenge,” Salafsky said. “So I think we kind of wanted to use the new year as a time to reorient student to all that is available to them.”